EIU to Commemorate Veterans Day with Series of Events
Eastern Illinois University will commemorate Veterans Day with a series of events, including its annual ceremony.
Community residents are invited to join students, faculty and staff for the annual Veterans Day Commemoration Ceremony at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 11, in Old Main’s Cougill Foyer.
The annual ceremony will include remarks by T.J. Prater, an EIU student and veteran, and EIU President David Glassman, as well as the laying of a wreath. The ROTC Panther Battalion will render a three-volley salute, while members of the EIU Department of Music will perform the National Anthem and the playing of taps.
The public is also invited to attend other events throughout the week:
- EIU Wind Symphony and Concert Band will salute past and present members of the U.S. armed forces with "A Call to Duty: A Veterans Day Tribute" at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 5. For information about tickets, click here.
- The POW/MIA Remembrance Table honors those, be they prisoners of war or those missing in action, who cannot join their families and friends. This activity will take place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily, Nov. 9-13 in the Bridge Lounge of the Martin Luther King University Jr. Union.
- A Veterans Appreciation Fair will held from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 10, at the LifeSpan Center, 11021 E. County Road, (Sponsored by LifeSpan).
- A Veterans Day Blood Drive will take place from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 11 at the Student Recreation Center in Lantz Arena.
- A Military Resource Fair will take place from 11-2 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 12 in Bridge Lounge in the Martin Luther King University Union Jr.
- Members of the community are also invited to attend a wheelchair activity game to bring awareness to the hardships veterans with disabilities must go through. The event takes place from 1-4 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 13 at the Student Recreation Center in Lantz Arena.
For more information about the Military Assistance Center at EIU, click here.