Budget Office Support
What is the Function of the Budget Office in Budget Maintenance and Supporting Financial Managers?
- The Budget Office processes position budget adjustments based on information received via Personnel Authorization Requests (PAR’s) and Financial Managers.
- How does the Budget Office accomplish this?
- Utilizing the Personnel Authorization Request (PAR) forms and Employee information within Banner to evaluate position budgets for new hires or the department’s intent to fill or revise a position.
- Evaluating position variances and adjusting off position savings (for example: savings caused by an employee taking leave without pay).
- Applying appropriate salary increases to position budgets for annual increases, probationary increases, anniversary increases, etc.
- Communicating with the department regarding retirements, resignations, sabbaticals, terminations, etc. The department will be contacted before moving any budget authority to a reserve. If a position is planned to be refilled, an estimated budget based on the department’s judgment will be left on the position.
- The Budget Office provides periodic notification to Financial Managers of actual and imminent budget deficits.
- Whenever feasible, the Budget Office assists in the resolution of budget deficits.
- The Budget Office maintains awareness of personnel cost and operating cost relationships between all ledgers. This facilitates statutory budget integrity, university-wide cost effectiveness and university-wide cost efficiency.
- The Budget Office reviews budget transfers for reasonableness and accuracy:
- Making sure the transfer doesn’t put an account into a deficit.
- Verifying VP approval on all transfers between personnel services (6xxxx) and direct expenditure (7xxxx) accounts.
- Contacting the department prior to processing transfers if reasonableness questions arise.
For a printer friendly version click here