Student Life Graduate Assistantships
Student Life Graduate Assistantship Brochure (pdf)
SUPERVISION | RESPONSIBILITIES | GENERAL DUTIES | QUALIFICATIONS | BENEFITS | STIPEND | CONTRACT | TUITION WAIVER | APPLICATION
The SLO Graduate Assistant position is one of (5) in the Student Life Office. The SLO Graduate Assistants work under the direct advisement and supervision of the Director of Student Life.
Primary areas of responsibility include but not limited to staff advisement of University Board campus entertainment, EIU Student Government, RSO Support Services, Multicultural Programming - Black Student Union, Latin American Student Organization, Learning By Example To Accept Diversity (LEAD), Diversity in Action Council (D.A.C.), iLEAD Leadership Support Services, and major university events – Major Concerts, PROWL Weekend, First Night, Pantherpalooza Student Involvement Fairs, Homecoming Week, Family Weekend, Panther Bash and Major Concerts events.
- Support the Student Life Office (SLO) in the primary and secondary areas of student program advisement, training, and leadership development.
- Assist in the implementation of institutional policies, departmental procedures and regulations, performance/vendor contracts and negotiations, organizational policies and guidelines.
- Oversee the planning, coordination, budgeting, supervision and assessment of SLO student activity programs, services, and events within the Student Life Office.
- Advisement of major programmatic areas that include – University Board, EIU Student Government, Black Student Union (BSU), and Latin American Student Organization (LASO) on all aspects of organizational operations, student development/training, event planning, assessment and marketing of SLO programs/events. Provide on-site supervision nights/weekends at SLO programmatic events and activities.
- Assist in All Staff coverage and supervision of major university events that include – Pantherfest Prowl Weekend, Homecoming Week, Family Weekend, Pantherpalooza Student Involvement Fairs, Panther Bash, major concerts and more.
- Assist in the development and facilitation of on-line RSO & iLEAD Leadership Support Services for over 200+ Registered Student Organizations officers, members and advisors that include – RSO resource center, student involvement calculator, monthly on-line newsletters, on-line leadership training resources, virtual leadership workshop series, on demand leadership clinics, etc..
- Assist with the overall utilization, development and implementation of digital technology within the Student Life Office programmatic areas. i.e. graphic design, social media, websites, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Admission into the EIU Graduate School
- Enrollment in a full-time EIU Master’s Degree program in Higher Education, College Student Personnel Administration or other related field within university
- Maintain full-time graduate student status and academic standing in a graduate degree program
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Effective organizational, event planning and management skills
- Ability to plan, promote and implement a diverse range of campus programming projects, and activities
- Demonstrated ability to oversee students/student groups of diverse cultural backgrounds & experiences
- A demonstrated sense of personal responsibility, initiative, energy, leadership, and maturity a plus.
- Previous undergraduate experience in programmatic areas – campus entertainment, multicultural, leadership, student governance and major event planning
- A commitment and understanding of student development, advisement, and training in programmatic areas
- Highly motivated individual with strong interpersonal, organizational, time management skills
- Experience in multicultural/programmatic areas
- Experience in student group team building and conflict resolution
- Strong administrative and programming skills preferred working with diverse student populations
- Strong event planning, supervisory and management skills
- Digital technology and graphic design knowledge and skills
Five Graduate Assistantship positions are offered in the Student Life Office: A maximum of five 2-year assistantship positions are available.
$9,000 per 9-month contract ($1000/ month)
- Anticipated start Date: 9-month position from August 1 - April 30.
- Contract is renewable for up to a maximum of 2 years.
- Time-off for fall, Thanksgiving, Winter and Spring Breaks
9-15 hrs. of Graduate Tuition are waived each semester. Graduate Assistants must enroll in a minimum of 9 hours each semester (3 hrs. in the summer optional) and maintain a 3.0 semester cumulative GPA. Graduate assistants may be eligible for state and federal aid programs. Graduate Assistants may apply for Summer Tuition Waivers.
Please submit a cover letter (skill-set, past experiences, and interest in Student Life areas), resume, and three references with phone numbers and email address to Ceci Brinker, Director of Student Life, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Ms. Ceci Brinker
Director of Student Life
Eastern Illinois University
Eastern Illinois University was established in 1895 by the Illinois General Assembly. The university is located in Charleston, Illinois, the county seat of Coles County, in East Central Illinois. The city has a population of approximately 20,000. EIU is a public institution with an enrollment of 11,000+ students. The university grants bachelor’s, master’s and specialist degrees. For more information, see the university’s homepage at www.eiu.edu.