Recent Searches

Loading Search Results...
Loading Directory Results...



Recent Pages

Recent Searches

Interpersonal Violence Resources and Prevention

If You are Assaulted 

You have options and things to consider:

  • Filing a complaint- You control when and where to file a complaint. (In some circumstances, the University may be required to proceed with an investigation without you cooperation if failing to do so would put the greater campus community at risk.) There are multiple options available and complaints may be filed in any, all or none of the appropriate departments. Click here for more information on filing a complaint.
  • The following may help to preserve evidence: not showering/washing, not using the bathroom, not changing clothes, not brushing your teeth or rinsing out your mouth.
  • Consider seeking medical attention. A sexual assault crisis advocate can help you through the process at the hospital. An advocate can be reached by calling SACIS (numbers listed below). Medical and follow up care are important regardless of whether you choose to report the assault.

Other Suggestions:

  • Remember, it is NOT your fault! You are not responsible for the actions of others.
  • Talk with others about your experience. Seeking support from others can help you in your healing process
  • There are a variety of emotions and responses survivors may have to trauma. Survivors may experience anger, self blame, depression and anxiety. Survivors may experience sleep and appetite disturbances, difficulty focusing, withdrawal from loved ones, and many other things.  
  • You are encouraged to contact the EIU Counseling Clinic and speak with a counselor and/or Jessica Cobert (formerly Milburn), the confidential advisor, at (217-581-3413). Jessica can assist in filing complaints (both on and off campus), if the student so chooses. She can assist with gathering information on orders of protection, civil no contact orders, and restraining orders, and accessing housing, academic supports, and treatment for medical needs. After-hours, you can reach a Life Links crisis counselor (1-866-567-2400) or the SACIS crisis hotline (1-888-345-2846).
  • Advocates through SACIS (217-348-5033) and HOPE (217-348-5931) also are available to assist survivors with filing reports, orders of protection, and civil no contact orders. 

Related Pages

Contact Information

Jessica Milburn, Confidential Advisor

EIU Counseling Center

Dr. Shawn Peoples, Title IX Coordinator

Office of Civil Rights

Brittany Floyd, Associate Director of Student Accountability & Support / Deputy Title IX Coordinator

Office of Student Accountability & Support

Take the next step

apply now
schedule a visit