Visit Us -- Get to Know Our Program
FOR HIGH SCHOOL CLASSES...
Are you a Spanish, French, or German teacher?
Take a field trip with your Spanish, French or German classes for a "CULTURE DAY" with us.
We have already enjoyed hosting high school classes from Pana, Altamont and Newton.
Give your students a great opportunity to...
- Spend a day on a college campus
- Get to know our Spanish, French, and German faculty
- Participate in interactive and educational presentations and activities
- Experience what they can do with their language in college and beyond
- Meet our students, international students, and Language Clubs
A typical Culture Day schedule looks like this
- Arrive on campus. We meet you at the bus. Quick tour of campus.
- Enjoy a "Cookies and Cocoa" reception. Meet our students who studied abroad. Mingle with international students who are here at EIU.
- Participate in several 30-minute sessions led by our Spanish, French, and German professors and Language Clubs. Topics range from language and culture to careers.
- Choose the sessions. We forward you the topics we will offer. Your students can select their sessions and we can make sure the session groups are about even. No prerequisites. Students can pick the language they studied--or try out a new language
- Lunch: Choose a Residence Hall, or the University Food Court in the Union. This will be the only cost that has to be covered by you. Of course, you can also eat off campus. You could make a reservation in a restaurant in Charleston, or in a restaurant on your way back to school (to fit your schedule).
FOR STUDENTS AND FAMILIES...
Are you interested in an individual visit? Please come to us anytime!
Tour our department and see our classrooms
Visit with the department chair
Speak with language faculty (all professors are advisors for our majors)
Attend a class (or several classes)
Meet our students and tutors in our language lab
Take a tour of EIU campus
Planning to be on campus during EIU Open House days?
Visit our department's Showcase (see EIU Open House program you receive), meet our faculty and learn more about our courses and careers for World Language majors.
Please contact the Department Chair.