Major in a Foreign Language--Your Ticket to Working in a Global Economy
The opportunities that are available with a foreign language degree are limitless!
Emily (BA in Foreign Languages, 2015)
International Project Manager at Yargus Manufacturing based out of Marshall, IL (a global leader in the fertilizer equipment and material handling industry)
Traveling to conferences and site visits all over the world, using the language skills learned at EIU.
Rear more about Emily here.
Our Department offers students....
- Three languages of concentration (Spanish, French, German)
- Four customized selections in their language of concentration
- Intensive and effective practice in all communicative modes
- Service learning opportunities
- A multicultural and vibrant atmosphere in all our classrooms and lab
- Tutor positions in our language lab
- Exciting and effective Study Abroad programs to meet individual student budgets and goals
Add a Language Minor to your Major--Add Value to Your Career
With 2, 3 or 4 years of Spanish, French, or German in high school (or 2 semesters of language study in college), students usually...
- Take FLS/F/G 2201G and/or FLS/F/G 2202G and fulfill their Gen Ed Humanities requirement.
- Take 4 courses (12 credits total) on the 3000 to 4000 level to complete their Minor.
Jennifer (French Minor)
Majoring in Communication Studies. Pre-health professional track.
Plans to become a doctor who travels the world with Médecins sans frontières, or Doctors without Borders.
Excellent opportunities for heritage speakers of Spanish
Students with intermediate (or advanced) proficiency through home background learning skip courses and instead take our proficiency exams that provide full course credits.
- Foreign Language teachers are in high demand
- 100% placement rate
- Our faculty stand by students and help them succeed at state and ACTFL/CAEP requirements
- We distribute thousands of dollars to our own majors each year.
- Livingston Lord Scholarship: The University regularly bestows its most prestigious award to a Foreign Language Teacher Education Major.
- Our record: This award, worth approximately $7,000, has been given to five of our students in the last 6 years.
Advanced Competency Credit…
Students receive up to 6 credits free of charge for language study completed in high school. Credits count toward graduation and are applied after completing two language courses at EIU. Students must begin at 1102 or 2201/2202 level.
Students gain experience and boost their résumés through…
- Teaching our after school program in elementary school (offered every semester) and earn Spanish, French or German credits
- Interning on and off campus
- Working as tutors in our language lab
- Serving as (paid) camp counselors in our new Summer Spanish Immersion Camp
- Collaborating with "Amigos and Friends" and TLC (The Language Company) international students on campus
- Participating in the many extracurricular activities that our diverse program offers...
- Language Clubs
- Weekly Conversation
- Tables Honor Societies
- Film Nights
- Latin American Studies events