Family Medical Leave Act
Family Medical Leave Act entitles eligible employees to take reasonable leave up to twelve weeks per year for a serious medical condition amongst themselves or a family member or twenty-six weeks per year to care for a covered service member with a serious injury or illness.
An employee should contact Benefits Office if he or she will be off work for five consecutive days for the following qualifications:
- Birth or adoption of a child
- Care of a child, spouse, or parent due to a serious health condition
- Care of a covered service member with a serious injury or illness
- Employee is unable to perform functions of his or her position due to a serious health condition
Carefully read Internal Governing Policy #7.1 before applying for FMLA.
To be eligible for FMLA, an EIU employee must:
- have worked for EIU for at least twelve months and
- have worked at least 1,250 hours of service during the previous twelve months (1,000 hours after January 1, 2022).
If an employee is ineligible for FMLA, he or she will complete a Non-FMLA application to be approved by the department.
Please return completed applications to the Benefits Office.