Secondary Science Teacher Certification Program
The Secondary Science Teacher Certification Program at Eastern Illinois University provides students with an opportunity to prepare for a career as a high school science teacher. Successfully completing this course of study and passing the written certification examinations will allow candidates to teach a variety of high school science courses.
Advisement checklist and suggested course sequence (PDF) (Revised Fall, 2014)
Tentative course offerings
Requirements for the Secondary Science Teacher Certification Program
- General education requirements
- A sequence of professional education courses which includes clinical experiences.
- A science content coursework option.
- Student teaching experience.
- All students graduating after December 2011 with a teacher certification major must receive a grade of "C" or better in all courses used toward graduation, regardless of where they are taken, including general education, professional education, major and minor courses, all university required courses, and electives.
You can complete a Science with Teacher Certification degree in any one of the emphases within the following sciences content options: Biology, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, and Physics. Consult the teaching certification advisor in your area of interest for specific course requirements or download the teacher certification transfer checklist.
Teacher Certification Contacts
- EIU Secondary Science Teacher Certification Program Coordinator: Katherine Johnson
- Biological Sciences: Ruth Chesnut
- Chemistry: Daniel Sheeran
- Earth Science: Katherine Johnson
- Physics: Donald Pakey
Teacher Certification Links
- Illinois State Board of Education EIU Teacher Education Information (Test dates, meeting dates, etc.)
- Basic Skills Test Information (You need to take this test for admission into the Teacher Education Program. You need to take this test before taking classes at Eastern if you are a transfer student.)
- Department of Student Teaching and Clinical Experiences
- Consortium for Overseas Student Teaching