The Simple Steps to Becoming EIU
To be eligible for degree candidacy to either the MA in History or the MA in History with Online Teacher Option, applicants must meet all of the requirements for admission to the Graduate School. A minor in History or its equivalent is also required. Please note: Admission to the programs are competitive. Meeting the Graduate School requirements does not ensure admission into either History graduate program. Applications are accepted any time. However, for applications to the MA in History for Fall 2017, applicants for graduate assistantships and other forms of financial aid must apply by February 1, 2017 to ensure full consideration. Applications for the MA in History with the Online Teacher Option are due April 1. Please remember that admissions is a two-part process at EIU. It involves applying to the Graduate School as well as applying to the MA graduate program
Your MyEIU account is free and easy; all it takes is an email address to get started. You can even sign up via Facebook! Once you've logged into MyEIU, you can learn everything there is to know about Eastern and get information about everything the university has to offer — all tailored to your unique set of interests!
All students can apply to the graduate school through MyEIU. The graduate school requires:
- A complete online application
- A copy of your official transcripts
- A $30 application fee
Learn more about the Graduate School admissions process.
After applying to the Graduate School, please return to your MyEIU account to complete the program application. Please note that the GRE is optional and not required for admission to either program.
- Two or more emails of recommenders, preferably from professors who know your work best and can evaluate your potential for graduate study.
- Complete the application for Graduate Assistantship, while not mandatory, we encourage you to apply.
- A "Statement of Personal Goals" (250-500 words). This should outline your reasons and purpose for seeking a Master of Arts in History at EIU. The statement of should include your career aspirations, how your career goals are tied to a graduate education, and your reason for choosing EIU as your school of choice.
- A resume.
- (Recommended) A Writing Sample. While not required for admission, a polished writing sample that demonstrates both research and intellectual ability can be a factor in financial aid decisions.
- Three emails of recommenders, with at least one being a current or former supervising principal or department chair
- A current c-v
- "Statement of Personal Goals" (250-500 words). This should outline your reasons for seeking a Master of Arts in History at EIU, as well as your career aspirations, how your career goals are tied to graduate education, and your reason for choosing the EIU MA Program in History as your program of choice.
For the MA in History program application in MyEIU you will be providing:
For the MA in History with Online Teacher Option program application in MyEIU you will be providing:
You'll be able to keep tabs on the status of your application through MyEIU; you'll receive a message when you have been officially admitted to EIU!
If you are interested in a graduate assistantship, you also need to submit a graduate assistantship application.
Graduate assistantships are typically awarded in accordance with the academic year. Assistantship applications are normally accepted through the middle of February; a decision for the next academic year comes within a month. For more information about graduate assistantships, please click here.
Now you're ready for your first semester at Eastern! Welcome to the EIU family! We're glad to have you, and we're confident you'll be glad you came!