The Simple Steps to Becoming EIU
To be eligible for degree candidacy, applicants must meet all of the requirements for admission to the Graduate School. A minor in History or its equivalent is also required. Please note: Admission to the program is competitive. Meeting the Graduate School requirements does not ensure admission into the History MA program. Applications are accepted any time. However, applicants for graduate assistantships and other forms of financial aid must complete their file by March 1st to ensure full consideration. (Starting for Fall 2017, applications for GAships and other funding must be submitted by February 1, 2017.) Please remember that admissions is a two-part process at EIU. It involves applying to the Graduate School as well as applying to the MA graduate program.
Your MyEIU account is free and easy; all it takes is an email address to get started. You can even sign up via Facebook! Once you've logged into MyEIU, you can learn everything there is to know about Eastern and get information about everything the university has to offer — all tailored to your unique set of interests!
All students can apply to the graduate school through MyEIU. The graduate school requires:
- A complete online application
- A copy of your official transcripts
- A $30 application fee
Learn more about the Graduate School admissions process.
Please send the following to the graduate coordinator:
- Two or more confidential letters of recommendation, preferably from professors who know your work best and can evaluate your potential for graduate study.
- Completed online Application for Graduate Assistantship, while not mandatory, we encourage you to apply.
- A typed "Statement of Personal Goals" (250-500 words). This should outline your reasons and purpose for seeking a Master of Arts in History at EIU. The statement of should include your career aspirations, how your career goals are tied to a graduate education, and your reason for choosing EIU as your school of choice.
- A resume.
- (Recommended) A Writing Sample. While not required for admissions, a polished writing sample that demonstrates both research and intellectual ability can be a factor in financial aid decisions.
- (Optional) GRE general test scores.
Please mail all materials for the departmental application to:
Dr. Sace Elder, Graduate Coordinator
Department of History
Eastern Illinois University
600 Lincoln Ave.
Charleston, IL 61920
Please note that the program admission requirements are different than the Graduate School requirements. You may also send the appropriate items above via email to the graduate coordinator: Dr. Sace Elder. at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You'll be able to keep tabs on the status of your application through MyEIU; you'll receive a message when you have been officially admitted to EIU!
If you are interested in a graduate assistantship, you also need to submit a graduate assistantship application.
Graduate assistantships are typically awarded in accordance with the academic year. Assistantship applications are normally accepted through the middle of February; a decision for the next academic year comes within a month. For more information about graduate assistantships, please click here.
Now you're ready for your first semester at Eastern! Welcome to the EIU family! We're glad to have you, and we're confident you'll be glad you came!