The Simple Steps to Becoming EIU
The M.S. in Counseling is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Program (CACREP).
- Deadline for submitting materials: Feb. 9, 2018. (NOTE: Please make application to the Graduate School in a timely manner to assure that the department receives the items by Feb. 10th). Prospective student application checklist.
- The 2018 Interview day will be held on Friday, Feb. 23, 2018, for those who are invited to interview. This interview is mandatory to be considered for admission.
- All newly-admitted students will be considered for the Paul Ward Scholarship of up to $4000.
Your MyEIU account is free and easy; all it takes is an email address to get started. You can even sign up via Facebook! Once you've logged into MyEIU, you can learn everything there is to know about Eastern and get information about everything the university has to offer — all tailored to your unique set of interests!
All students can apply to the graduate school through MyEIU. The graduate school requires:
- A complete online application
- A copy of your official transcripts
- A $30 application fee
Learn more about the Graduate School admissions process.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- A complete application.
- Two departmental recommendation forms from individuals (outside of the counseling department) familiar with applicant’s academic or work performance. (The department prefers academic references if possible). Applicants must submit an application consent waiver form before each recommendation form is submitted.
- You may copy and paste the link of the recommendation form and email it to them. Recommendation form here.
- A GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
- Based on application materials supplied above, applicants will be screened to determine those who will be invited to attend an Interview Day. The 2017 admitted students will be chosen from this invited group. If you are not selected for an interview, you may request your file be held for next year’s review.
- A complete application for the Paul Ward Memorial Scholarship. More information can be found here.
- Students are required to submit a criminal background investigation and obtain a passing score on the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) or submit an ACT score of 22 prior to being fully admitted to the school counseling concentration. For more details click here.
- Students are required to have taken an Abnormal Psychology course.
You'll be able to keep tabs on the status of your application through MyEIU; you'll receive a message when you have been officially admitted to EIU!
If you are interested in a graduate assistantship, you also need to submit a graduate assistantship application.
Graduate assistantships are typically awarded in accordance with the academic year. Assistantship applications are normally accepted through the middle of February; a decision for the next academic year comes within a month. For more information about graduate assistantships, please click here.
Now you're ready for your first semester at Eastern! Welcome to the EIU family! We're glad to have you, and we're confident you'll be glad you came!