The Simple Steps to Becoming EIU
The M.S. in Counseling is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Program (CACREP).
Deadline for submitting materials: Feb. 10, 2017. (NOTE: Please make application to the Graduate School in a timely manner to assure that the department receives the items by Feb. 10th).
The 2017 Preadmission/Orientation Interview will be held on Friday, Feb. 24, 2017, for those who are invited to interview. This interview is mandatory to be considered for admission.
The Paul Ward Scholarship is mandatory for a complete admission packet. All newly-admitted students will be considered for the award of up to $4000.
Prospective student application checklist.
Your MyEIU account is free and easy; all it takes is an email address to get started. You can even sign up via Facebook! Once you've logged into MyEIU, you can learn everything there is to know about Eastern and get information about everything the university has to offer — all tailored to your unique set of interests!
All students can apply to the graduate school through MyEIU. The graduate school requires:
- A complete online application
- A copy of your official transcripts
- A $30 application fee
Learn more about the Graduate School admissions process.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- A complete application.
- Two departmental recommendation forms from individuals outside of the department familiar with applicant’sacademic or work performance. (The department prefers academic references if possible). Recommendation form (pdf).
- A GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
- Based on application materials supplied above, applicants will be screened to determine those who will be invited to attend a Pre-Admission/Orientation Interview. The 2015 admitted students will be chosen from this invited group. If you are not selected for an interview, you may request your file be held for next year’s review.
- A complete application for the Paul Ward Memorial Scholarship. More information can be found here.
- Students are required to submit a criminal background investigation and obtain a passing score on the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) prior to being fully admitted to the school counseling concentration. Alternative admission status is available for those students seeking a passing score on the TAP. Contact the office for more details.
- Students are required to have taken Abnormal Psychology course.
You'll be able to keep tabs on the status of your application through MyEIU; you'll receive a message when you have been officially admitted to EIU!
If you are interested in a graduate assistantship, you also need to submit a graduate assistantship application.
Graduate assistantships are typically awarded in accordance with the academic year. Assistantship applications are normally accepted through the middle of February; a decision for the next academic year comes within a month. For more information about graduate assistantships, please click here.
Now you're ready for your first semester at Eastern! Welcome to the EIU family! We're glad to have you, and we're confident you'll be glad you came!