The Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), a specialized accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) has conferred accreditation to the Clinical and School Counseling areas of concentration within our program. The Student Affairs concentration follows the Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education (CAS).
Our M.S. degrees prepare individuals to develop professional knowledge and skills in counseling and leadership for use in school, community, and higher education settings. The School Counseling concentration is designed to meet the certification requirements of the State of Illinois while the Clinical Counseling concentration is designed to meet licensure requirements of the Board of Counselor Examiners of Illinois. Currently, there are no certification or licensure requirements for the Student Affairs major. In addition to seeking appropriate credentialing and licensing, graduates are encouraged to obtain ongoing supervision, consultation, and continuing professional education throughout their careers.
Although the department seeks to be competitive on a national level, licensure and certification requirements are set by each individual state. Therefore, it is the responsibility of graduates to contact the State Board and comply with requirements of the specific state in which they wish to practice. The National Board for Certified Counselors publishes a list of contacts for each state board.
It is becoming clearer that being a CACREP-accredited program is significant for programs because:
- CACREP is the only accrediting agency in the Counseling profession accepted as a hiring credential by the federal government.
- CACREP programs prepare graduates for passing demanding licensure exams.
- CACREP accreditation increases the employment opportunities for graduates seeking employment in federal agencies such as the VA or TRICARE health systems.
- CACREP enhances the portability of credentials for graduates who must relocate.
- CACREP assists programs in recruiting qualified graduate students.