Graduate assistantships are available within the department as well as campus-wide. Students in the Counseling and Student Development Department are employed in a variety of departments across campus. A sample of departments that have hired Counseling and Student Development students outside of the CSD department are included in this list.
Click here to apply for a graduate assistantship. After submitting the application, contact the offices and departments of your interest about their specific hiring procedures.
This list contains assistantships that are available in different departments at EIU. Please note that the non-academic positions may vary from year to year.
NOTE: It will be helpful to secure a graduate assistantship position before admission to our department. While interviewing for a position, inform the interviewer that you are in the process of applying to the Counseling and Student Development Department for graduate school. If you wait until later to apply, many positions may be taken and there will be less of a chance to obtain a GA position.
Department of Counseling and Student Development: Graduate Assistantship Guidelines
- GAs will work 18 hours per week
- GAs will begin work the first week of school and work until the end of EIU's finals week
- GAs will submit their scheduled hours to the Department Chair as well as the faculty members they are working for by the first day of classes.
- GAs should not have outside employment.
- GAs are not expected to work during Thanksgiving Break or other school holidays.
- Stipend payments occur on the last working day of the month, beginning the last day of September and ending in May (9 total).
- GAs may be required to help facilitate a course.
- GAs assisting with Pre-Practicum should arrange for themselves or their Pre-Practicum faculty member to be in the office during all IPRs.
- First year GAs will be required to fill out another GA application at the end of the year in order to be considered for re-hiring.
- Each GA will be issued keys to the building and office suite by the Department secretary. They will need to be returned at the end of the GA's employment.
Meet the 2015-2016 CSD Graduate Assistants!