Recent Searches

Loading Search Results...
Loading Directory Results...



Recent Pages

Recent Searches

EIU Student Legal Service


Who qualifies for Student Legal Services?

All EIU graduate and undergraduate students qualify for services. No advice can be given to EIU faculty, staff, relatives of students, or alumni.

How do I make an appointment with Student Legal Services?

You can schedule an appointment by calling the office at 581-6054 or by completing an appointment request form located on this website. Someone from the office will respond via email or phone to set up an appointment. You can also walk in during our Open Legal Clinic hours which are on most Tuesdays from 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.

What should I bring to the appointment?

Bring any document that you wish to discuss with the attorney. Examples include a speeding ticket or lease.

What types of legal issues are covered at Student Legal Services?

Student Legal Services typically helps students with landlord/tenant disputes, lease reviews, criminal issues, traffic tickets, ordinance violations, collection issues, family law issues, name changes and small claims.

What types of legal issues are NOT covered at Student Legal Services?

Many legal issues are outside the scope of our office including intellectual property, business formation, real estate, personal injury, immigration law and employment law. However, the attorney can direct you to the proper contacts and/or resources most appropriate for your legal issue. Our office does not give legal advice to student groups. Additionally, we will not give advice regarding cases within the Office of Student Accountability & Support.

Does Student Legal Services go to court with me?

No! Student Legal Services will not represent you in court. We are an advice and referral legal service program only. However, we will give you information to prepare you before you go to court if you choose to represent yourself. If you want an attorney, Student Legal Services has a list of local attorneys for your reference.

What does it cost to use Student Legal Services?

The great news is that for qualifying students, the service is FREE!

Where is the Student Legal Services office located?

We are located in the walkway of the University Union, Room 2420, inside the Campus Scheduling Office.

Can my parents call and talk to Student Legal Services for me?

You are our client, not your parents. So, Student Legal Services can only discuss your case with your parents IF you have signed a release form giving us permission. If you sign that form, you are waiving the attorney-client privilege.

Can I get a document notarized at Student Legal Services?

SLS will notarize a document with valid identification. For example, your state ID, driver's license, or current passport would suffice.

Does Student Legal Services provide any other services?

Yes, we are available to give presentations to student groups and classes on a variety of legal issues. Click on the "Request A Speaker" tab for more information.

Is someone in the Student Legal Services office every day?

The office is staffed part-time so there is not someone in the office every day. However, phone calls and emails are answered every day. Generally you will receive a response within one business day. If you have documents to drop off and no one is at SLS, you may drop them off at Campus Scheduling (walkway of the Union) in an envelope and they will be placed in a private drop box.


Related Pages

Contact Information

Student Legal Services

MLK Jr University Union Room 2420
600 Lincoln Ave.
Charleston, IL 61920
(217) 581-6054

Take the next step

apply now
schedule a visit