Recent Searches

Loading Search Results...
Loading Directory Results...



Recent Pages

Recent Searches

EIU Department of Classification and Compensation

Temporary Upgrade

To receive a temporary upgrade:

An employee must be assuming all duties normally assigned to the higher level classification. Upgrading is not required when the employee performs only certain duties and/or assumes only partial responsibility for the overall duties of the position to which assigned. The employee must be on the active register for the higher classification, if such a register exists. If the relevant register does not exist, the employee must meet the minimum required qualifications for the classification to which assignment is being made.

Initial requests for temporary upgrades of employees:

Must be submitted to and approved by the Department of Human Resources. When a temporary upgrade occurs, an employee shall be paid up to a maximum of 6 percent less $1 (Vice President’s discretion) or paid to the minimum of the pay range if the employee’s current salary is not within the new range. For classifications where a single rate is used, the employee shall receive the rate of the higher classification. Management reserves the right to determine the appropriate salary to maintain internal equity.

In some situations, your job classification:

may be temporarily upgraded for up to 30 consecutive work days. During this period, you perform a different job at a higher classification level. To initiate an upgrade, your supervisor must submit a temporary upgrade form to the Office of Classification/Compensation. You must also pass any applicable civil service examination.

If a temporary upgrade action is subject to a bargaining unit agreement:

Then that agreement rules and procedures shall be adhered to, provided such contract language exists.

 Request for Temporary Upgrade


Related Pages

Contact Information

Classification and Compensation

2010 Old Main
Fax: 217-581-3614

Take the next step

apply now
schedule a visit