Military to Civilian: Job Search Resources for Veterans
Transitioning from the military? These resources are targeted specifically for veterans.
Our career center is here to help! Also see Career Advice, HANDSHAKE, & Events.
- FedsHireVets: Federal government recruitment and employment of veterans
- Illinois state-run job search portals:
- Debt.org: Provides information and tools for veterans, military personnel and families on debt
management, unemployment, and job search resources provided through the federal government and the Department of Veteran Affairs.
- Credit Card Insider: Provides credit resources and debt help for veterans.
- Employer Partnership of the Armed Forces: Helps link employers with service members for non-military jobs.
- Military to Civilian Job Search: Useful article with links to several more resources.
- Military to Civilian Occupation Translator: Helps service members match military skills to civilian occupations.
- My Health Vet: See official information about your military service, including deployment data,
in-uniform experience, and Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) codes which define
the types of work performed/skills learned and which then translate those codes into
civilian descriptions and helps to identify job openings.
- Student Veterans of America: Matches student veterans with leaders from some of the nation's largest corporations
and universities for mentoring, networking, and career counseling.
- TA Online: Source of military transition assistance and jobs for vets
- To Get a Post-Military Job, Drop the Jargon: Useful article which appeared on MSNBC
- TurboTap: The official transition assistance website for vets, run through the Defense Department
- Military Social Work: There is a great need for social workers to work with military members, veterans,
and their families.
Firms that place Vets in Jobs
- Military.com: An example of a firm that places ex-military personnel for a fee paid by the employer.
- Military Hire: An example of a firm that places ex-military personnel for a fee paid by the employer.
- Recruit Military-recruiting firm: An example of a firm that places ex-military personnel for a fee paid by the employer.
- Silent Professionals: Free service to help veterans find work in the private security sector.
- Vet Jobs: Jobs for ex-military: an example of a firm that places ex-military personnel for
a fee paid by the employer.