Biological Sciences Minor
A student should plan a minor program in consultation with an appropriate advisor or department chairperson. If a student wishes to add a minor after having applied for graduation, he or she must reapply and note the addition on the reapplication for graduation.
Requirements for Minors
- Students should declare their minor as soon as possible.
- No courses in the minor can be taken credit/no credit unless they are courses which are designated as credit/no credit (such as internship).
- At least six semester hours of the coursework in the minor must be completed in residence. These six hours must also be taken for a grade in order to establish a grade point average for the minor.
- Minor GPA is computed from grades earned in minor courses taken at EIU only.
- Semester hours earned in independent study, research, internship, or study abroad may be used toward minor requirements at the discretion of and with the approval of the minor department(s).
- In order for the minor to appear on a student’s permanent transcript, students must have a cumulative grade-point average of at least 2.00 in a non-teaching minor. Students with teaching minors who entered Fall 2002 and thereafter must earn a GPA of at least 2.65 in order for the minor to appear on their permanent transcript.
Biological Sciences Minor Degree Requirements
Total Semester Hours: 21
BIO 1500 - General Biology I. Credits: 4
BIO 1550G - General Biology II. Credits: 4
BIO 3210 - Molecular and Cellular Biology. Credits: 4
or BIO 3180 - Ecology and Evolution. Credits: 4
Electives in Biological Sciences. Credits: 9 (See footnote 1-3 )
- Students that have completed either BIO 1200G or BIO 1300G will have 4 hours counted toward BIO elective credit.
- With the exception of BIO 3400, BIO 4275, workshops, and other courses designed for General Education.
- A minimum of 6 semester hours must be at or above the 3000 level.