Here's the info you need to make sure your big day goes smoothly.
- The graduate should arrive at Lantz Fieldhouse one hour before his/her ceremony. THERE IS NO REHEARSAL.
- Chairs will be set up in the Fieldhouse exactly as they are in the gymnasium. A name card will be on each chair with the name of the graduate that is to sit in that chair. Some simple instructions will be given and the graduates will process as a group from the Fieldhouse to the gymnasium.
- Each graduate should take his/her name card with them as they proceed to the ceremony. This card will be used to read his/her name as they cross the stage. If the graduates name is difficult to pronounce, the reader will be available at the south end of the Fieldhouse, prior to the ceremony.
- Please do not bring valuables to the fieldhouse. Leave them with a relative or lock them in your car. The fieldhouse will not be secured during the ceremony.
- Please plan to meet your family or guests outside or in the Student Recreation Center after the ceremony.
- Cap and gown returns will be in the Student Recreation Center immediately following the ceremony. Graduates will not return to the Fieldhouse after the ceremony.
Possession/consumption of alcoholic beverages is not permitted on state property, nor are articles or materials that may endanger or distract others. Individuals in violation of these policies or whose conduct is disruptive or harmful to others will be removed from the commencement ceremony.
The commencement ceremony is designed to recognize the academic achievements of our graduates. Proper attire and behavior are expected.
Messages on or attached to any part of a graduates cap or gown are not acceptable.
Honors cords and Kente Cloths are allowed.
Participants "Graduating with Distinction" will be awarded a medallion with corresponding blue, white or gold ribbons in recognition of Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude or Summa Cum Laude honors. NO OTHER MEDALLIONS WILL BE PERMITTED.
Graduates completing their degree requirements through the Honors College will be awarded a silver stole with an approved design embroidered in blue on one side of the stole in recognition of their academic achievement.
National academic honors societies, as recognized by the Association of College Honor Societies, and with an active chapter at Eastern, may award a white stole with an approved design embroidered in blue on one side of the stole. Stoles are either awarded at no cost or may be sold at cost to the students. Please consult the Alumni Services Office for a current listing of eligible academic honors societies. NO OTHER FRATERNITY/SORORITY OR OTHER HONORARY ORGANIZATION MAY USE STOLES. GRADUATES WILL BE ASKED TO REMOVE ANY UNAPPROVED STOLES BEFORE THE CEREMONY. An approved vendor, as determined annually by the Alumni Services Office, will embroider all stoles for use in Commencement ceremonies.
Please consult the Alumni Services Office for the name of the approved vendor. The Office of Alumni Services will approve all embroidery and other aspects relating to stoles. The approval process must be completed before an order is placed for their production. The production costs are entirely the responsibility of the honorary ordering the stoles.
PLEASE DO NOT BRING PERSONAL ITEMS OR VALUABLES TO THE FIELDHOUSE ON COMMENCEMENT DAY. SECURITY IN THE FIELDHOUSE CAN NOT BE GUARANTEED.
Your cap and gown will need to be returned after your ceremony. Please take cap and gown to Court 1 in the Student Recreation Center. There will be representatives from Herff Jones there to take your cap and gown. The tassel included with your regalia is yours to keep.
Lantz Arena is located on Grant Avenue in Charleston. If you are traveling on Highway 16/Lincoln Ave. into Charleston from the east or west, you travel on Lincoln Ave. and turn south on Fourth Street. Continue south to the first intersection (Fourth Street and Grant Avenue). The diagram below shows the parking areas around Lantz arena. Campus parking map.
Special Needs Parking
Permanent on-campus spaces are designated for persons with disabilities. On Commencement Day, we will make additional spaces available for special needs parking on the north side of the Lantz Fieldhouse for all ceremonies.
One photograph will be taken as the graduate crosses the stage and two others after exiting the stage during the ceremony. Proofs and online ordering information will be sent to the graduate within two weeks of the ceremony. Relatives and friends are not to intrude into the stage area for pictures during the ceremony.
Grad Images is our photography provider. Contact them at 800.261.2576 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.