This page includes information about cap and gown rental, ticket distribution, guest accommodations and more. Please check back frequently for updates.
You should begin preparing for commencement as early as possible.
Doing so allows EIU to confirm your eligibility to participate in commencement and ensure your name is included in the commencement program. For the Spring 2016 ceremonies:
- Apply or reapply to graduate through PAWS by March 23.
- If planning to participate in commencement by exceptionality*, you must complete and submit an exceptionality form to your college dean's office by March 23.
*Students must meet certain criteria to participate in commencement by exceptionality. To determine eligibility, please contact your college's appropriate certification officer as early as possible:
|College of Arts and Humanities||Betsy Miller (217.581.5221, firstname.lastname@example.org)|
|College of Sciences||Sherri Arnholt (217.581.5822, email@example.com)|
|College of Education and Professional Studies||Bonnie Wilson (217.581.2524, firstname.lastname@example.org)|
|Lumpkin College of Business and Applied Sciences||Mary Hennig (217.581.6902, email@example.com)|
|School of Continuing Education||Lori Brewer (217.581.5618, firstname.lastname@example.org)|
|The Graduate School||Patti Bailey (217.581.5937, email@example.com)|
Please also download and print the following document:
- Printable Spring 2016 Commencement Checklist
Graduation announcements are available online at Herff-Jones and will be mailed to your permanent (home) residence.
WEIU, a service of Eastern Illinois University, produces a professional, multi-camera production of each graduation ceremony. Copies can be ordered the day of the ceremony or by downloading the form below. Copies will be mailed 4 to 6 weeks after graduation. Past graduation ceremony DVDs are also available and are listed on the downloadable form.
The cost is $25 each and $10 each for any additional copy beyond the first. DVDs can also be purchased at the WEIU online store at www.weiu.net.
GRADUATES: Renting a cap and gown indicates your intent to participate in commencement ceremonies and allows EIU to plan for your involvement.
- If you plan to participate in EIU's commencement ceremonies, you must order a cap and gown from Herff Jones by 11:59 p.m. Saturday, April 2, 2016.
- Late orders: After the April 2 deadline, cap and gown rentals will incur a $20 late fee and must be ordered directly through our vendor. Contact Storie Enterprises (representing Herff Jones) at 314-369-6668 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for all late orders.
Graduates with Special Needs
If you are a graduate with special needs, please contact Alumni Services immediately to make necessary arrangements at 217.581.6616.
Special Needs Guests
Tickets for special needs guest seating will be available and can be requested during ticket distribution. Each guest requiring special seating can be accompanied by one individual escort. Guests are responsible for bringing any special equipment (wheelchairs, walkers, etc.) they may need. If you have any questions, please call Alumni Services at 217.581.6616.
Special Needs Parking
Permanent on-campus spaces are designated for persons with disabilities. Additional special-needs parking is available near Lantz Arena on commencement days.
Hearing Impaired Guests or Graduates
A sign language interpreter will be located near the stage. Hearing assist receivers (Frequency 72.900 MHZ Wideband) will be available at the First Aid Station.
Please see the Alumni Services "Charleston" page for a listing of local hotels and restaurants.
May 4-6, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. in the Arcola-Tuscola Rooms, MLK Union
Ticket availability for each ceremony will be determined after the graduation application deadline date of March 23. Please check back for details.
- Graduates participating in the 9 a.m. ceremony will be allotted: TBD
- Graduates participating in the 1 p.m. ceremony will be allotted: TBD
- Graduates participating in the 3 p.m. ceremony will be allotted: TBD
- Graduates participating in the 6 p.m. ceremony will be allotted: TBD
- If any additional tickets are available, they will be distributed beginning at 1 p.m. Friday, May 6 in the Arcola-Tuscola Room on a first-come, first-served basis.
- If you are unable to pick up tickets during normal ticket distribution hours, call 217.581.6616 or email email@example.com to request that your tickets be held at will call on the main concourse in Lantz Arena the day of their ceremony.
- Please provide your name, E-number, ceremony time, major, total number of tickets requested, and how many special seating tickets you need. You should pick up will call tickets 60 to 90 minutes prior to your ceremony, allowing you to distribute tickets to guests before arriving at the fieldhouse to prepare for your ceremony.
- You must present a photo ID when picking up your tickets.
- If you make plans to have someone else pick up your tickets for you, they must provide a signed note from you indicating your name, E-number, college, degree and major.
- For safety reasons, children less than two years old who will not be sitting in an adult's lap during the entire ceremony do require a ticket for entry.
- NO ADMITTANCE WILL BE ALLOWED WITHOUT A TICKET.
Cap and Gown Pickup
May 4-6, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. in the Charleston-Mattoon Rooms, MLK Union
You must present a photo ID when picking up your cap and gown.
- If you make plans to have someone else pick up your cap and gown for you, they must provide a signed note from you indicating your name, E-number, college, degree and major.
- If you will not be on campus until Commencement Day, you can pick up your cap and gown in the Fieldhouse of Lantz Arena the day of the ceremony.
- Arrive at the Fieldhouse an hour prior to your ceremony to pick up your cap and gown by speaking with the cap and gown representatives in the Fieldhouse immediately upon your arrival.