Campus Safety @ EIU
Crime Prevention Tips
- Be aware! Recognize your vulnerability.
- Report all suspicious persons, vehicles and activities to the University Police Department immediately, by using any campus emergency phone or by dialing 911 from any campus phone.
- Use the "buddy system" and watch out for your neighbor.
- Keep your door locked when you nap or go to bed for the night. DO NOT prop open doors!
- Report lights that are out and any hazardous conditions immediately.
- If you see someone being victimized, get involved and notify the Police Department.
- Report suspicious behavior to the proper authorities.
- Remember the location of the emergency phones.
- Take a self-defense course.
- Monitor your Eastern-assigned e-mail accounts.
- Avoid traveling alone at night.
- Confine walking to well-lit, regular traveled walks and pathways. Avoid shortcuts and keep away from shrubbery, bushes, alleyways, or any other areas where an assailant might be lurking.
- Avoid the athletic fields after dark.
- Carry a cell phone.
- Do not accept rides from casual acquaintances.
- When walking to your vehicle or residence, have your keys ready in hand. Interlace your keys in your fist.
- When being dropped of by taxi or private vehicle, ask the driver to wait until you get inside.
- If threatened by an approaching vehicle, run in the opposite direction. The vehicle will have to turn around in order to pursue you.
- When getting out of a car, take a look around to make sure that you are not being followed. If you think you are being followed, cross the street and, if necessary, keep crossing back and forth. If you are pursued run to a campus building, business, residence, enlist the aid of a passerby, flag down a passing motorist, or as a last resort pull a fire alarm. Do anything that might attract attention or summon assistance. If you are walking alone and someone passes you, check to make sure that person has continued to walk in the other direction.
- Carry a loud whistle; this will draw attention to your position if assailed.