The Simple Steps to Becoming EIU
To be eligible for degree candidacy, applicants must meet all of the requirements for admission to the Graduate School. Please note: Admission to the program is competitive. Meeting the Graduate School requirements does not ensure admission into the Special Education MS program. Applications are accepted any time. However, applicants for graduate assistantships and other forms of financial aid must complete their file by March 1st to ensure full consideration.
Your MyEIU account is free and easy; all it takes is an email address to get started. You can even sign up via Facebook! Once you've logged into MyEIU, you can learn everything there is to know about Eastern and get information about everything the university has to offer — all tailored to your unique set of interests!
All students can apply to the graduate school through MyEIU. The graduate school requires:
- A complete online application
- A copy of your official transcripts
- A $30 application fee
Learn more about the Graduate School admissions process.
Please send the following to the graduate coordinator:
- Two or more confidential letters of recommendation, preferably from professors who know your work best and can evaluate your potential for graduate study.
- Completed online Application for Graduate Assistantship, while not mandatory, we encourage you to apply.
- A typed "Statement of Personal Goals" (250-500 words). This should outline your reasons and purpose for seeking a Master of Science in Special Education at EIU.
- A resume.
- Evaluation of dispositions by peer, supervisor and self.
Please mail all materials for the departmental application to:
Department of Special Education
Eastern Illinois University
1212 Buzzard Building.
Charleston, IL 61920
Please note that the program admission requirements are different than the Graduate School requirements. You may also send the appropriate items above via email to office coordinator Angi Hallowell at email@example.com.
You'll be able to keep tabs on the status of your application through MyEIU; you'll receive a message when you have been officially admitted to EIU!
If you are interested in a graduate assistantship, you also need to submit a graduate assistantship application.
Graduate assistantships are typically awarded in accordance with the academic year. Assistantship applications are normally accepted through the middle of February; a decision for the next academic year comes within a month. For more information about graduate assistantships, please click here.
Now you're ready for your first semester at Eastern! Welcome to the EIU family! We're glad to have you, and we're confident you'll be glad you came!
Program Admission Requirements
- Degree requirements for all candidates include those outlined for the master's degree by the Graduate School Catalog.
- Candidates must complete a minimum of 32 semester hours in the thesis option and 36 semester hours in the non-thesis option.
- All candidates must complete a research and issues course.
- Eight semester hours of professional graduate level courses in education (such as Curriculum Development, Social Foundations od Education, Philosophy of Education, History of Educational Thought, Comparative and International Education) are required.
The Master of Science in Education, Special Education is flexible and allows you to select graduate-level coursework that will meet your interests and educational goals. Coursework for LBSII licensure in Behavior Intervention and Curriculum Adaption is also available on a rotating basis.