Welcome to the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS)
Eastern Illinois University, located in the east central Illinois community of Charleston, provides the best undergraduate and graduate education of any public university in the region. The University's more than 8,700 students and over 280 international students come from 46 nations.
Why Should I Attend EIU?
- Strong Academics: US News and World Reports (2014) ranked EIU as the 4th highest public regional university in the Midwest United States. The University's high academic standing is reflected in high rates of student retention and graduation rates, alumni job placement, and satisfaction among alumni and employers.
- Personal Attention from Distinguished Faculty: EIU features a small faculty-student ratio of 1:15 and 100% of professors have attained their PHD. Research collaboration between students and professors is strongly encouraged.
- Safe and Friendly: EIU is located in a safe and friendly small town with many opportunities to get involved in the university and local community.
- Prestigious Scholarships Available: Scholarships for high qualifying international students are available.
- Career Opportunities: A survey of EIU students who recently graduated indicated that 87% of undergraduate students and 89% of graduate students achieved employment or intend to go to graduate school!
Where is EIU?
EIU is within three hours from Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis, and within easy driving distance of Champaign-Urbana. Convenient rail service to downtown Chicago and Champaign-Urbana is available through the Amtrak train station in nearby Mattoon.
Featured Partnership for Engineering Programs
EIU features a 2+2 partnership with the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, one of the best universities for engineering in the world. Students study for 2 years at Eastern Illinois University and two years at UIUC. See here for more details.