- Old Main, the first building on campus, was completed in 1899. Old Main stands as a symbol of the strong ideas, values, and personal visions of those individuals, past and present, who have made this university great. Currently, Old Main is home to many of the administrative aspects of EIU.
- Eastern Illinois University celebrated the grand opening of its Renewable Energy Center in October 2011. It powers the campus using two of four boilers at a time; two boilers use biological materials from wood chips to switch grass while the others burn natural gas with a fuel oil back up.
- Designed by renowned architect Antoine Predock, the Doudna Fine Arts Center boasts several public arts venues. Performers from around the country and, indeed, around the world are invited to the Doudna. In addition, it offers a variety of programming in the arts for area children and schools.
- Employees at Eastern Illinois University are afforded the opportunity to use the services of Booth Library which include book and movie rentals as well as access to computer labs. Renovations on Booth Library began in 1999 and were completed in 2002.
What EIU Can Do For You!
Eastern Illinois University, located in Charleston, Illinois (Coles County), employs nearly 2,000 individuals in full and part-time positions. Categories of employment include Administrative and Professional, Faculty, and Civil Service positions.
With approximately 11,500 students on a 320-acre campus, EIU strives to attract a wide variety of talented and diversified employees to meet the standard of greatness we have defined at our institution.
With a 16:1 student-faculty ratio, the highest freshman retention rate and second highest graduation rate among Illinois public universities in its class (2011 U.S. News and World Report), EIU truly lives up to its philosophy of remaining, “Big enough to matter; Small enough to care.”
Whatever your area of expertise or experience...
- if you have the desire to excel
- if you want to work for an institution where greatness is expected
- if you want to work somewhere you can be proud of
- if you want to live and work in a safe community
- if you want to work for an institution that cares about you
...check out what EIU does for its employees. Explore the topics on the left for short synopses and useful links to some of the many benefits offered to employees at Easten Illinois University.
Maybe you could be EIU!
(Please note: The information on this site is not to be considered an exhaustive list of the benefits EIU has to offer its employees. Please research further on EIU’s website or contact the university directly if you have questions or require more information).