College to Career: Freshman Year: Explore
Welcome to EIU and the School of Business!
During the first year of your program, you will begin to explore your potential, the academic programs, and the professional development resources offered by EIU and the School of Business.
Make academics a priority:
- Meet with an academic advisor
- Accept personal responsibility for your own academic progress
- Develop an academic plan
- Develop time management skills
Explore opportunities for professional development:
- Attend presentations and workshops offered at EIU Career Services and the School of Business
- Attend business student organizations’ information presentations
- Attend study abroad presentations
- Attend internship presentations
Begin to develop a career plan:
- Assess personal interests, abilities, and values
- Complete the Discover program through EIU Career Services
- Meet with career counselor for analysis of Discover results
- Investigate business majors and minors
- Begin alignment of Discover results with potential majors
- Research potential careers
- Develop your resume
Student organizations in the School of Business provide opportunities for you to expand your knowledge of business. Our active, award-winning organizations bring representatives from area businesses to speak to students, coordinate service projects in the community and attend regional conferences, to name just a few of the many activities provided to students.