Students in the Lumpkin College of Business and Technology will have the opportunity to gain real-world experience and make valuable professional contacts through internships. Internships are available for credit and non-credit. LCBT students are highly encouraged to pursue internships in order to develop relevant skills and experience in their chosen fields, and to be competitive in the work force upon graduation.
Benefits of an Internship
- You supplement your classroom learning with workplace experience.
- You obtain hands-on experience of the responsibilities and expectations of specific jobs.
- You gain in-depth knowledge of an organization that allows you to evaluate if it is compatible with you and your professional goals.
- You can make networking contacts to help you in your career development.
- You earn credentials to include on your resume.
- You learn about your own strengths and interests to help you better plan your career.
Due dates for the internship application (all paperwork will be submitted online):
- December 1st for Spring internships
- April 20th for Summer internships
- July 20th for Fall internships
What you need to do to have an internship experience approved for academic credit:
- Meet with your Academic Advisor to be sure that you are qualified to earn for academic credit for an internship and that an internship will fit into your academic plan.
- Obtain an offer for an internship.
- Work with your Internship Supervisor to obtain the information needed to complete the Internship Approval Form
- Company name and complete address
- Company website
- Supervisor's name, phone number, & email address
- Internship Position Description
- At least three Learning Objectives with a list of specific related activities/project
- Complete and submit the Internship Approval Form. The proposal must be approved before you begin the internship work.
- Be sure there are no holds on your record that would prevent you from being registered for the course.
- Upon approval of your internship proposal, the Internship Coordinator will notify you of the approval and provide an internship syllabus, including assignment instructions and due dates.
- The Internship Coordinator will register you for the appropriate course.
Requirements of an internship for academic credit:
- Internship Approval Form: Must be submitted for approval prior to the beginning of the internship and prior to the beginning of the desired semester.
- Internship Academic Assignments: Includes assignments, submitted to EIU online (d2l), documenting progress toward the learning objectives outlined in the internship proposal.
- Tuition and fees are billed for each hour of academic credit to be received for the internship.
- Required work at the internship site: At least 40 hours of work is required for each hour of academic credit to be received.
- Grading: Internships are graded on a credit/no credit basis. Credit for an internship does not impact your GPA.
- Internship Credit: Requires successful completion of the appropriate number of hours of work, satisfactory completion of all written assignments, and positive evaluations from your internship supervisor.