WHAT IS MICROSOFT TEAMS VOICE
Teams Voice provides a new way to use telephone services at EIU. When you move to Teams Voice, your current 581# is associated with your Microsoft Teams account rather than your current desktop telephone. You will make and receive calls via the Teams app – not your desktop phone. Calls can be managed from any Internet-connected device on which you are logged into Teams. Audio comes from your computer or the device’s onboard microphone and speaker or via a headset connected to your computer.
Why are we moving to Microsoft Teams Voice
There are several reasons:
- The university’s legacy telephony platform, Centrex, has reached the end of life.
- Voicemail transcription is within the Teams application and messages will be sent to you via email
- Utilizes EIU's existing Microsoft agreement by simply adding voice licensing
- The new platform provides better, more-integrated communications features while simultaneously simplifying the delivery of those services: bundling basic service, voicemail, domestic long distance, webinars, collaboration tools, and chat into a single piece of software that is accessible both on- and off-campus.
- Teams Voice puts your work phone number on your computer (and optionally also on your handheld cellular device). You can make outbound calls by name or number. Teams Voice is accessed by the “Calls” icon on the far left side of your Teams app, and is a way to make any phone call, regardless if the other party is a part of Teams or is using software, a cell phone, or a traditional land line.
- Supports work-from-anywhere situations without the need for a physical phone