Professional Mentoring Program
The TRiO/Student Support Services program cordially invites faculty/staff to consider becoming a TRiO Mentor! TRiO is a federally funded U.S. Department of Education grant program that provides supportive assistance to first-generation, low-income and/or college students with disabilities. All services are free to participants. We are funded to serve 175 students on Eastern’s campus.
The focus of the TRiO Mentor Program is to:
- Provide guidance on a one-on-one basis;
- Increase students awareness of the college system and assist in their preparation for graduate schools and/or professional careers;
- Help increase student’s motivation, self-discipline and confidence levels;
- Encourage students to pursue research opportunities, within your department or outside programs such as The Ronald E. McNair/TRiO Program;
- Share a wealth of knowledge and experiences from your field of study;
- Assist students in cultivating relationships and to develop a list for networking / reference opportunities;
- Increase student’s involvement with mentors, TRiO/SSS and EIU.
Benefits for the Faculty/Staff Mentor:
- Professional Development
- Increased academic achievement of EIU students
- Fostering of relationships with students in your department
- Satisfaction of assisting in the academic successes of EIU students
Because interaction with faculty has been found to be a critical factor in student retention and persistence (Terenzini et al., 1994), we hope that you will assist our program and become a mentor. Applications are available on our website, in the TRiO Office room 3017 in Ninth Street Hall, or can be sent to you. Please contact Maggie L. Burkhead, Director at 581-7949 or by email at email@example.com (Faculty/Staff Mentor Application)
Benefits for the Student/Mentee:
- Increased awareness of the college system.
- Increased interpersonal skills
- Enhanced decision-making skills
- Motivated to develop individual talents and strengths.
- Acquired skills and resources needed to succeed as scholar and professional.
- Support and encouragement.
- Assistance with preparing for publishing, grant writing, presentation of research findings, post-undergraduate degree options, internships, job shadowing and job placement opportunities.
- Assistance with and encouragement for GRE, G-MAT, L-SAT, M-CAT and Basic Skills preparation.
- Encouraged to become more motivated, self-disciplined and goal oriented.
- The comforts of knowing that a faculty/staff member of EIU’s campus has a sincere and active interest in your well-being.
See your TRiO Advisor to request a Professional Mentor.