Eastern Illinois University's Department of Student Teaching and Clinical Experiences is proud of its fine reputation for preparing teachers. All teacher education programs at EIU are fully and nationally accredited. Practical experience with learners in school settings is a vital component of our teacher education programs.
From classroom observation to small group teaching, straight through to practicum and student teaching, EIU students receive many opportunities to develop into teachers in their chosen field of expertise. Please contact our office if you have questions about student teaching or clinical experiences.
Doug Bower (email@example.com)
Now Accepting Applications to Student Teach in Fall 2016 and Spring 2017
We are now accepting applications to student teach in Fall 2016 and Spring 2017. Anyone planning to student teach during this time must submit a web-based application no later than October 31, 2015. Information on the application process can be found in the right hand column of this page
Reminders for Spring 2016 Student Teachers
- Complete fingerprinting for your criminal history report no later than October 16. Remember it is likely that your district will also require you to complete an additional FBI Criminal Background check.
- Submit your certificate of completion for the DCFS Mandated Reporter Training to Room 1420 Buzzard Hall by October 16.
- Read your edTPA Handbook (provided to you at your pre-placement meeting) so that you understand the complete process and requirements. Attend meetings as required (watch your email in early October for dates/times)
- Pass the content test(s) in your discipline. It is important to register early for computer based tests. If you need assistance registering, contact the TASC office in Buzzard Hall 2303. EIU must receive official score reports showing you passed your content test(s) by December 11, 2015.
- Complete your TB test through the EIU Clinic scheduled for the week of November 9. Watch for more information. Do not complete this requirement prior to the first week in October.
- Have a physical completed through EIU Health Services or your own physician and provide a copy of the exam results to 1420 Buzzard Hall not later than December 11. This should be completed no earlier than October 1st
- Register for Student Teaching
Spring 2016 Student Teachers Planning to Student Teach in Chicago Public Schools
If your coordinator has asked you to complete the application to student teach in Chicago Public Schools please go the the following website https://pcpsep.epm.cps.edu/sites/STI/index.htm . Review the material required and once the application period opens use the student teacher registration link to complete your application. If you have questions please contact Dr. Raymond LaPorte at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Teaching Application Fall 2016/ Spring 2017
We are now accepting applications to student teach in Fall 2016 or Spring 2017. The deadline for applications is October 31, 2015.
Every student planning to student teach must formally apply. To complete the application you will need a current transcript (PAWS transcript is fine), an up-to-date resume (saved as a pdf), and a writing sample addressing specific criteria (saved as a pdf). If you need assistance with preparing your resume please contact Career Services. Finally, specification/requirements for the writing sample can be found by clicking here.
To begin or update your application click here. Be very careful to mark the correct semester and year of when you plan to student teach. If you are unable to log into the system please contact Dr. Doug Bower (email@example.com or Ms. Jan Hickox (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Related EIU Links
- Ballenger Teachers Center
- Career Services
- College of Education and Professional Studies
- School of Continuing Education
- Counseling and Student Development
- Early Childhood, Elementary and Middle-Level Education
- Educational Leadership
- Health Studies
- Instructional Technology Center
- The Graduate School
- Grant Information
- Kinesiology and Sports Studies
- Recreation Administration
- Secondary Education and Foundations
- Special Education