The Simple Steps to Becoming EIU
Applying to the Political Science Graduate Program is a two part process:
- Submit application materials via MyEIU. If you are an international student, make sure you designate yourself as such in MyEIU; otherwise, choose the Graduate School when you log into MyEIU.
- Once you are admitted to EIU, submit application materials to the Political Science Graduate Program in MyEIU.
Your MyEIU account is free and easy; all it takes is an email address to get started. You can even sign up via Facebook! Once you've logged into MyEIU, you can learn everything there is to know about Eastern and get information about everything the university has to offer — all tailored to your unique set of interests!
All students can apply to the graduate school through MyEIU. The graduate school requires:
- A complete online application
- A copy of your official transcripts
- A $30 application fee
Learn more about the Graduate School admissions process.
Once you've completed EIU's Graduate School online application, please select the Political Science graduate program in MyEIU.
All applicants will upload a professional goals statement, where you address why you seek admission into our program. This statement should be approximately 300 words. In addition, you must provide at least two emails for references, ideally from faculty, or from your employer or supervisor.
You'll be able to keep tabs on the status of your application through MyEIU; you'll receive a message when you have been officially admitted to EIU!
f you are interested in a graduate assistantship, you also need to submit a graduate assistantship application. You can submit this application in MyEIU when you apply.
Graduate assistantships are typically awarded in accordance with the academic year, though some are occasionally available in January. Fall assistantship applications are normally accepted through March 1; a decision for the next academic year comes within a month. For more information about graduate assistantships, please click here.
Now you're ready for your first semester at Eastern! Welcome to the EIU family! We're glad to have you, and we're confident you'll be glad you came!
Program Admission Requirements
- Bachelor's degree
- Completed EIU Graduate School application
- Completed application (personal statement and two reference letters with accompanying reference form)
- TOEFL for international students