The Rural King Online Scholarship
Recipients of the Rural King Online Scholarship will be covered for the full cost of tuition & fees for any online program at EIU.
Who is it for?
How much is covered?
How do I qualify?
How many students will be selected per year?
How do I renew the scholarship each year?
• Maintain a 2.5 GPA
• Stay enrolled at EIU for at least 3 credit hours each fall and spring semester
• Verify Rural King employment each year
How do I apply?
Step 1: Apply to EIU up to a year before classes start: eiu.edu/apply
- Our application takes 10-15 minutes to complete (no essay or test scores required)
- Complete admissions requirements on MyEIU checklist at eiu.edu/myeiu
Step 2: Fill out FAFSA starting in December: studentaid.gov
- If not eligible for federal aid, fill out the Alternative Application at isac.org
- Takes under 1 hour for most
Step 3: After you’ve been admitted, fill out scholarship applications before March 15
- Visit eiu.academicworks.com and fill out the 1-minute General Application, then search for “Rural King” and apply for as many scholarships as you qualify for
- Takes 3-5 minutes per scholarship (no essays required)
Would my award ever be reduced or canceled?
In general, the amount you receive from RK Online Scholarship will not exceed the cost of your tuition and fees. Those costs would be fully paid, but you would never receive additional spending money from the scholarship.
Here are some circumstances in which your RK Online award would be reduced:
- If you later receive other awards that partially cover your costs, your RK Online award will be reduced accordingly for the first year of your award through the 10th day of class (Census Policy). Your renewal award amount will never be less than your initial award unless it exceeds the annual cost of attendance in combination with other awards.
- If you receive scholarships or other awards that fully cover your tuition and required fees budget for the first year of your award, your Online Scholarship will be reduced.
- If you receive an award such as the Pemberton Presidential Scholars Award, EIU Local Scholars, EIU Promise, the Children of Deceased Employees Waiver, DCFS, DORS, or the ISAC Illinois Special Education Teacher Tuition Waiver (SETTW) Program. In some circumstances, your full tuition and fees could also be covered in combination with the State of Illinois MAP grant, but exceptions may apply because of the differences in these waiver programs.
- If the RK Online Scholarship cannot be applied in your first year, you will not receive the award in subsequent years.
- If you receive an award specific to housing and dining, this award will not reduce the RK Online award.
What is family adjusted gross income?
Adjusted gross income (AGI) is the combined income for you and your family as reported to the IRS on your federal income tax return. It’s on Line 4 if you filed a Form 1040EZ, Line 21 if you filed a Form 1040A, or Line 37 if you filed a Form 1040.
What if my family’s income goes above $100,000 after my first year?
You’ll still be able to renew the RK Online Scholarship.