What accounts are provided to users?
Students, Staff, and Faculty are provided with various user accounts while they are at EIU, a list of these accounts and their descriptions are below.
Standard User Accounts
- These accounts are traditional accounts provided to an individual staff, faculty, or student, commonly called your EIU NetID
- Provides access to services such as PAWS, Banner INB, PantherMail, EIUOnline (D2L Brightspace), and other EIU services
- Used by faculty, staff, or departments that need a web-site on www.eiu.edu or castle.eiu.edu.
- Web accounts on www.eiu.edu are accessed by logging into them via Global Site Manager (Omni Update)
- Web account websites on castle.eiu.eduare typically managed by other sftp and website utilities such as
- Fetch FTP
Shared E-Mail Mailbox
- A group account that multiple people may access via their own EIU email account in PantherMail Web or Outlook
- Initial ownership and send-as permissions are set by ITS email administrators
- Owners set filters, forwarding, and provide additional access to Mailbox and/or Calendar via “Open Another Mailbox” (PantherMail web) and share the necessary features from there
- If owner needs additional staff to have ownership and/or “send-as” permissions on this account, requests must be made to ITS via Campus Technology Support (email@example.com)
- Able to share email folders or calendars
Service Accounts (IT Staff Only)
- Used by technology staff for automated services and scripts
Generic Computer Login (IT Staff Only)
- Used by technology staff that manage labs
Other Accounts Functionality
- Sometimes there are requests for accounts that might not fit into one of the aforementioned account types. In these instances use the account request form to request an account with “other” functionality and provide a description of the functionality that is required.
- These accounts are used for people that are associated with EIU in some form other than the standard faculty, staff, or student role. Examples are 3rd party contractors, visiting scholars, and external affiliates such as clergy.
- Resource accounts are used for defining an item that is an object or room. Typically resource accounts are maintained and scheduled through Astra as conference rooms or classrooms. Information about Astra Scheduling can be found at http://www.eiu.edu/scheduling/
These accounts are subject the University Network Identity Lifecycle Policy. The policy can be found at: https://www.eiu.edu/panthertech/policies.php