How do I update and scan with Sophos Endpoint Security?
Keeping your Sophos anti-virus program up to date is one of the most important steps in protecting your computer against viruses and other malware. This web page will demonstrate, step-by-step, how users can ensure that their Sophos anti-virus program is up to date as well as how to scan their computers for viruses in the event the computer becomes infected.
All Eastern Illinois University owned computers should have Sophos Endpoint Security installed. If your computer does not have any anti-virus, or if the anti-virus installed is not Sophos Endpoint Security, please contact Campus Technology Support at 581-HELP for assistance.
How will I know if Sophos is installed?
- On Windows, you will find the Sophos Shield in the system tray.
The shield icon on Windows looks like:
- On a Mac, you will find the Sophos Shield icon in the menu bar.
The shield icon on a Mac looks like:
How do I open Sophos Endpoint Security and Control?
- Once you have located the Sophos Endpoint Security icon, you need to right-click on the icon and select "Open Sophos Endpoint Security and Control".
- Once open, you will be presented with the Sophos Endpoint Security main menu.
Do I need to manually update Sophos Endpoint Security?
- Sophos Endpoint Security and Control is setup to update automatically without requiring any action by EIU users.
- If you would like to manually update Sophos, right click on the Sophos icon in the system tray and select “Update now”. This will kick off an update for the system.
Does Sophos do real time or on-demand scanning of files?
- Sophos will check each file as you access them or download them. Additionally, you can perform a manual scan of select files or the entire system.
- To scan your system, open Sophos Endpoint Security on your computer and select “Scan my Computer”
How do I perform a manual scan for viruses and malware?
- On Windows and Mac:
- Open Sophos Endpoint Security on your computer and select “Scan my Computer”
- A scan will begin immediately.
If Sophos suspects a file of being malicious, does it delete it automatically?
- We have configured Sophos to only quarantine items it finds malicious. The quarantine blocks access to the file until an end user and/or a desktop technician reviews it and removes or allows it. If you have any question or concerns about files that are quarantined, please contact Campus Technology Support at 217-581-1963.
How do I look for quarantined items?
- In the Sophos Endpoint Security client, click on Quarantine Manager. here you will see any item that has been quarantined. Here, you will be able to approve the file as safe or remove the file.
Is EIU's version of Sophos available for students and employee home use?
- EIU is only licensed to install Sophos Endpoint Security on EIU inventoried computers.
What should I do if Sophos is not on my EIU owned computer?
- All Eastern Illinois University owned computers should have Sophos Endpoint Security installed. If your computer does not have any anti-virus, or if the anti-virus installed is not Sophos Endpoint Security, please contact Campus Technology Support at 217-581-4357 for assistance.