Whether you are considering a career in foreign languages, desire a well-rounded education, or simply enjoy languages and plan to travel for pleasure in the future, Eastern Illinois University's Department of Foreign Languages can help you develop skills and knowledge to meet your goals.
Benefits of foreign language study include:
- Development of analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Enhancement of communication skills, which also transfer to your native language.
- Broadening of your knowledge of the culture of more than one foreign country.
- Preparation for graduate work in foreign languages or another area.
- Improvement of career opportunities by combining a major or minor in foreign languages with a major or minor in business, English, journalism, health care, education, government, etc.
- Attainment of a unique perspective from which to view your own culture.