Alpha Epsilon Delta Membership
Membership in AED is an honor bestowed upon a student in recognition of superior scholastic achievement. It affords the honored student an opportunity to develop initiative, leadership and self-education through participation in the activities of the chapter and society.
Currently, the requirements for membership are:
- A declared major in one of the health-related fields at EIU (Clinical Laboratory Science, Pre-Medicine, Pre-Veterinary Medicine, Pre-Dentistry, Pre-Optometry, Pre-Pharmacy, Pre-Nursing, Pre-Physician Assistant, Pre-Occupational Therapy, and Pre-Physical Therapy).
- A 3.20 overall grade point average.
- A 3.20 GPA in science - math, chemistry, physics, biology.
- Forty-five total hours completed (three semesters).
- For transfer students, enrollment as a full-time student at EIU for one semester with a 3.20 GPA overall and a 3.20 GPA overall in science at both the transfer school and at EIU.
- A letter of invitation (during the Spring semester each year, letters are sent out to eligible students inviting them to join AED).
The current cost of the membership is a one-time payment of $65 — $50 for the national membership fee and $15 for local chapter dues. This covers the cost of a membership certificate, membership card, a two-year subscription to our magazine, The Scalpel, and a lifetime membership in AED. In addition, you will receive a discount on activities sponsored by AED, such as mock MCAT fees, and will be able to participate fully in all aspects of the society.
Although official induction into Alpha Epsilon Delta requires upper-classman standing, all EIU pre-health professional students are encouraged to participate in chapter activities.