The Department of Music offers the Master of Arts degree in Music with concentrations in performance (instrumental, vocal, keyboard), conducting (choral, orchestral and wind), composition and music education. Students who wish to focus on jazz may do so in the Instrumental Performance concentration. Our graduate curricula are unique in their flexible and comprehensive designs. The Music faculty is deeply committed to providing students with the utmost in personal attention and opportunities for creative endeavors. As a result, our graduates are respected leaders in all fields of music. The program helps students cultivate a spirit of intellectual inquiry and creative independence.
This unique program combines a one-time, one-week summer residency on the EIU campus with online learning during the academic year. Teachers may complete the degree over three summers and two academic years or take courses as their other professional commitments allow. The curricular design allows working music educators to apply new ideas and teaching techniques directly to their classrooms as they advance through the program.
For more information, click here.
The Master of Arts in Music provides advanced preparation for teaching, performing, and/or further graduate study. A core of music courses required for the degree provides essential background in history, literature, research, and theory. Other specialized courses, seminars, and individual studies in performance, conducting, composition, theory, history, and literature aid the student in achieving his or her career goals.
Master of Arts in Music, Student Learning Objectives
- Apply accepted research practices to the study of Music.
- Demonstrate a scholarly approach to the study of music history, literature, and analysis.
- Demonstrate a level of competency as a performer, conductor, composer, or music educator appropriate for developing a career or further graduate study.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving (CGS Learning Objective).
- Demonstrate effective writing skills including grammar, syntax, organization, and depth of content (Graduate School standards).
Why Choose EIU for an MA in Music?
Our program has much to offer; here are a few key reasons to consider EIU. Our new hybrid on-campus/online MA in Music with a Music Education Concentration will give current music educators an opportunity to further their education while applying new knowledge directly to their current classrooms.