The Simple Steps to Becoming EIU
To be eligible for degree candidacy, applicants must meet all of the requirements for admission to the Graduate School. Please note: Admission to the program is competitive. Meeting the Graduate School requirements does not ensure admission into the Family and Consumer Sciences MS program. Applications are accepted any time.
Your MyEIU account is free and easy; all it takes is an email address to get started. You can even sign up via Facebook! Once you've logged into MyEIU, you can learn everything there is to know about Eastern and get information about everything the university has to offer — all tailored to your unique set of interests!
All students can apply to the graduate school through MyEIU. The graduate school requires:
- A complete online application
- A copy of your official transcripts
- A $30 application fee
Learn more about the Graduate School admissions process.
Fill out these applications:
Students must first submit an application with the EIU Graduate School (http://www.eiu.edu/graduate/prospective_admissions.php).
Prospective students will need to submit the following: 1) Letter of Intent – should address the following:
- Discuss the integrative and holistic nature of the discipline of family and consumer sciences. Include one or more examples to complement response.
- Explain how a degree in family and consumer sciences will assist you in achieving your career goals.
- At least one recommendation must address your academic performance.
- Letters of recommendation should discuss the applicant’s areas of strengths and weaknesses in the following areas:
- Ability to interact and work effectively with others
- Critical thinking skills and ability
- Written and oral communication skills with peers and superiors
- Work ethic
Materials should be submitted to the Graduate Coordinator, Dr. Jaimee L. Hartenstein (1044 Klehm Hall or firstname.lastname@example.org). Review of applications begins on February 15th for consideration of admission in the summer or fall semesters and September 15th for the spring semester, but applications are accepted any time.
*30 Semester hours and thesis or 32 semester hours without thesis.
- FCS Core Courses (12 semester hours)
- FCS 5900 Research Methods in Family and Consumer Sciences (3); and
- FCS 5901 Statistical Analysis in Family and Consumer Sciences (3); and
- FCS 5460 Issues and Trends (3)
- FCS 5450 Administration and Supervision (3)
- *Electives approved by student's graduate committee (21-23)
You'll be able to keep tabs on the status of your application through MyEIU; you'll receive a message when you have been officially admitted to EIU!
If you are interested in a graduate assistantship, you also need to submit a graduate assistantship application.
Graduate assistantships are typically awarded in accordance with the academic year. Assistantship applications are normally accepted through the middle of February; a decision for the next academic year comes within a month. For more information about graduate assistantships, please click here.
Now you're ready for your first semester at Eastern! Welcome to the EIU family! We're glad to have you, and we're confident you'll be glad you came!