Students should begin preparing for commencement as early as possible.
To participate in Spring 2017 commencement, students must take the following steps:
|Apply/Reapply to graduate
| March 22
||Doing so ensures you are eligible to graduate and therefore participate in the ceremonies. It also allows your name to appear in the program.**
|If planning to participate in commencement by exceptionality*, contact your College Dean's Office to submit an Exceptionality Form.||March 22||Doing so ensures you are eligible to graduate and therefore participate in the ceremonies. It also allows your name to appear in the program.**
|Order your cap and gown.|| TBD
||Renting a cap and gown signifies your intent to participate in commencement and allows EIU to plan for your involvement.
Late fees apply after the deadline.
|Pick up your cap and gown.|| May 3-5
||From 9am to 5pm in the Charleston/Mattoon Rooms (3rd Floor of the Union). You must order your cap and gown prior to picking up commencement tickets.
|Pick up your guests' commencement tickets.|| May 3-5
||From 9am to 5pm in the Arcola/Tuscola Rooms (3rd Floor of the Union).
| Participate on
| May 6
||Arrive at the Student Recreation Center in Lantz Arena an hour prior to your ceremony to prepare to walk in your ceremony. THERE IS NO REHEARSAL.|
A more detailed printable commencement checklist is available below:
*Students must meet certain criteria to participate in commencement by exceptionality. To determine eligibility, please contact your college's appropriate certification officer as early as possible. (See Certification Officer contact chart below).
**Names of students who have filled out Confidentiality Requests will not appear in the program. For names to be included in the program, students must have their confidentiality requests lifted by the Registrar's Office prior to the graduation application deadline.
|College of Arts and Humanities||Betsy Miller (217.581.5221)
|College of Sciences||Angie Rhoads (217.581.5822)
|College of Education and Professional Studies||
Bonnie Wilson (217.581.2524)
|Lumpkin College of Business and Applied Sciences||Amy Annis (217.581.6902)
|School of Continuing Education||Lori Brewer (217.581.5618)
|The Graduate School||Lana Beasley (217.581.7490)
Graduation announcements are available online at Herff-Jones and will be mailed to your permanent (home) residence.
GRADUATES: Renting a cap and gown indicates your intent to participate in commencement ceremonies and allows EIU to plan for your involvement.
- The deadline to order a cap and gown will be determined soon and posted here. After the deadline, cap and gown rentals will incur a $20 late fee and must be ordered directly through our vendor. Contact Storie Enterprises (representing Herff Jones) by calling 314-369-6668 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduates with Special Needs
If you are a graduate with special needs, please contact Alumni Services immediately to make necessary arrangements at 217.581.6616.
Special Needs Guests
Tickets for special needs guest seating will be available and can be requested during ticket distribution. Each guest requiring special seating can be accompanied by one individual escort. Guests are responsible for bringing any special equipment (wheelchairs, walkers, etc.) they may need. If you have any questions, please call Alumni Services at 217.581.6616.
Special Needs Parking
Permanent on-campus spaces are designated for persons with disabilities. Additional special-needs parking is available near Lantz Arena on commencement day.
Hearing Impaired Guests or Graduates
A sign language interpreter will be located near the stage. Hearing assist receivers (Frequency 72.900 MHZ Wideband) will be available at the First Aid Station.
Please see the Alumni Services "Charleston" page for a listing of local hotels and restaurants.
Eligible graduates who have ordered a cap and gown can pick up their tickets May 3-5 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Arcola-Tuscola Rooms of the MLK Union.
Graduates will initially be allotted the following number of tickets depending on the ceremony in which they are graduating:
|9 a.m.||College of Sciences
and The Graduate School
|12 p.m.||College of Arts and Humanities
and The Graduate School
The School of Continuing Education
|3 p.m.||College of Education and Professional Studies
and The Graduate School
- These allocations ensure that all eligible graduates are guaranteed a minimum number of tickets. Any extra tickets will be distributed beginning at 12 p.m. Friday, May 5 in the Arcola-Tuscola Room on a first-come, first-served basis.
- If you are unable to pick up tickets during normal ticket distribution hours, call 217.581.6616 or submit this online form to request the number of allocated tickets be held at will call on the main concourse in Lantz Arena the day of your ceremony.
- You should pick up will call tickets 60 to 90 minutes prior to your ceremony, allowing you to distribute tickets to guests before you arrive at the Student Recreation Center in Lantz Arena to prepare to participate in your ceremony.
- You must present a photo ID when picking up your tickets.
- If you make plans to have someone else pick up your tickets for you, they must provide a signed note from you indicating your name, E-number, college, degree and major.
- For safety reasons, children less than two years old who will not be sitting in an adult's lap during the entire ceremony will require a ticket for entry.
- NO ADMITTANCE WILL BE ALLOWED WITHOUT A TICKET.
Cap and Gown Pickup
May 3-5, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. in the Charleston-Mattoon Rooms, MLK Union
You must present a photo ID when picking up your cap and gown, and you must order cap and gown before you can pick up your tickets.
- If you make plans to have someone else pick up your cap and gown for you, they must provide a signed note from you indicating your name, E-number, college, degree and major.
- If you will not be on campus until Commencement Day, you can pick up your cap and gown in the Student Recreation Center area of Lantz Arena the day of the ceremony.
- Arrive at the Student Recreation Center an hour prior to your ceremony to pick up your cap and gown by speaking with the cap and gown representatives in the Student Recreation Center immediately upon your arrival.