Panther Service Day
We need YOU to help make Panther Service Day a success! We will be sending over 200 Panthers out into the community to help complete 2 hour service projects for local non profits like One Stop Community Christmas, Whiteside Garden, Ashmore Community, Douglas Hart Nature Preserve, 5 Mile House and MORE!! Help us make our community stronger AND if you register by March 28 you will be guaranteed a t-shirt in your size!
This annual day of volunteering and service began in 2003, when EIU Student Government initiated an effort to improve the relationship between EIU students and the citizens of Charleston through encouragement of acts of volunteerism and service in the community.
Individual Volunteers for April 7: CLICK HERE to register for all events! Just look for the projects that say “Panther Service Day.” See descriptions of projects below. We can be the difference!
Group Volunteers (Teams of 5 volunteers or More): Please CLICK HERE to register your group today! See below for choices!
Panther Service Day Volunteer Options
- Wesley Church: Volunteers will be doing yard and playground work, cleaning the Early Learning Center, and washing windows.
- First Fruits Homestead: This agency will give you an opportunity to work outdoors at a farm and garden. This unique site will give you a place to observe sustainable gardening and livestock techniques in action. Volunteers will help with general farm clean up, planting seeds, setting up row covers, washing harvesting totes, organizing, and work on improving the aesthetic detail of the First Fruit Homestead site. Close-toed shoes or work boots and clothes you don’t mind getting VERY MUDDY or DIRTY are necessary.
- (FULL) Community Aid - Ashmore: Volunteers will be assisting the community in a variety of ways from painting, cleaning the fire station and trucks, weeding the flower beds around town, etc.
- Fit-2-Serve: Volunteers will be working in the garden, pulling weeds, replanting, helping with the strawberry patches, etc. Close-toed shoes or work boots and clothes you don't mind getting dirty are necessary.
- (FULL) Standing Stone: Volunteers are needed at to help sort donations, move boxes from storage, and work the clothing sale that will be going on during this time. This is a local agency that provides food, clothing, and furniture to people in need. Please wear clothes you don't mind getting dirty and closed toed shoes. Come volunteer and support this important grassroots agency!
- (FULL) Camp New Hope: Volunteers will be cleaning and setting up the mini golf station, raking, landscaping, and helping clean/prep the arts and crafts center.
- Fleece Blankets: Volunteers will be making fleece tie blankets for local youth for One Stop Community Christmas.
- (FULL) Douglas Hart Nature Center: Volunteers are invited to join Douglas Hart in helping the Earth. Leaders will help you with trail clean up, planting trees, removing invasive plants like honey suckle bushes, and improving the forest at the Douglas Hart Nature Center. We recommend wearing long pants and closed-toed shoes as pending good weather, you will be working outdoors.
- Car Detailing Fundraiser: Volunteers will be setting up and running a car detailing in town to raise money for the One Stop Community Christmas Program. This program provides over 1,000 families across 7 counties with a better December for the whole family!
- 5 Mile House: Volunteers will be helping with grounds maintenance, general house cleaning, light yard work, and measuring ingredients for cooking. This is a neat opportunity to see one of our local historical sites.
- Lake Mattoon Clean Up: Volunteers will be clearing trees from around the lake, trail clean up, and trash pick up.
CLICK HERE to register for any of the above events!