#92 - Student Legal Service
Approved: August 7, 1996
Monitor: Vice President for Student Affairs
Consistent with the administrative accountability and responsibility for matters having to do with students, and cognizant of the restrictions imposed by the Board of Trustees and the laws of the State of Illinois as well as University regulations, the Student Legal Service acts as counsel to students and recognized student organizations.
The Student Legal Service is governed by a nine-person Board of Directors. Four members are appointed by the University President and include a Coles County attorney, who is the Board's liaison with the Coles County Bar Association, and three faculty members. The five student board members are appointed by the Student Body President. One shall be a graduate student and four shall be undergraduate students.
Student legal services are provided by an attorney who is an employee of the University. The attorney shall act on behalf of students within the limitations of this policy, and not as an attorney or agent for the Board of Trustees or the University.
The Student Legal Service may provide court representation to students and student organizations on civil matters, with the following limitations:
- The Student Legal Service is prohibited from representing students or student organizations in connection with litigation against Eastern Illinois University, the Board of Trustees, or any agent or employee thereof, or any federal, state, or municipal government, or any agency thereof.
- The Student Legal Service is prohibited from representing students or student organizations in connection with any matter or proceeding conducted by or before any University official or body, including but not limited to questions arising under the judicial code, questions of grading or academic misconduct, or violations of University traffic and parking regulations.
- The Student Legal Service shall not represent students in bankruptcy proceedings; however, general advice on bankruptcy proceedings may be provided as time permits.
- The Student Legal Service shall not draft any of the following documents: mortgages, installment contracts, contracts of sale, title opinions or other matters related to the sale of real estate, wills, trusts, or other estate planning devices, leases relating to premises other than the student's personal local residence, or any other document relating to the private financial transactions of an individual student.
- The Student Legal Service shall not represent students in divorce or domestic relation proceedings; however, advice may be provided on general problems relating to divorce as time permits.
- The Student Legal Service shall not represent students in relation to the settling or probating of an estate.