#150 - Alcoholic Beverages, Sale, Serving and Consumption
Approved: October 2, 2017
Monitor: Vice President for Student Affairs
Refer to 235 ILCS 5/6-15 which provides, in part, as follows:
Alcoholic liquors may be delivered to and sold at any ... facility in which conference and convention-type activities take place belonging to or under control of any State University, provided that with respect to a facility for conference and convention-type activities alcoholic liquors shall be limited to the use of the convention or conference participants or participants in cultural, political or educational activities held in such facilities, and provided further that the faculty or staff of the State University members of an organization of students, alumni, faculty or staff of the State University are active participants in the conference or convention.
Alcoholic liquors may be served or sold in buildings under the control of the Board of Trustees of Eastern Illinois University for public events. In determining whether a type of event is suitable for the sale or service of alcohol, the Vice President for Student Affairs or her/his designee shall consider the following:
(i) whether the event is a student activity or student-related activity;
(ii) whether the physical setting of the event is conducive to control of liquor sales and distribution;
(iii) the ability of the event operator to ensure that the sale or serving of alcoholic liquors and the demeanor of the participants are in accordance with State law and University policies;
(iv) the anticipated attendees at the event and the relative proportion of individuals under the age of 21 to individuals age 21 or older;
(v) the ability of the venue operator to prevent the sale or distribution of alcoholic liquors to individuals under the age of 21;
(vi) whether the event prohibits participants from removing alcoholic beverages from the venue; and
(vii) whether the event prohibits participants from providing their own alcoholic liquors to the venue.
In accordance with the amendments to the Liquor Control Act and subsequent action by the Board of Trustees, the following regulations are established to govern the sale, serving, and consumption of alcoholic beverages at Eastern Illinois University as an optional service provided principally for off-campus groups and organizations in conjunction with the institution's program of conference and convention activities.
- The University Union is the only University agency or department authorized to sell, serve, or otherwise provide alcoholic beverages at conference or convention-type activities. Using organizations cannot sell or serve alcohol.
- For the purpose of this policy, a conference or convention activity shall be defined as an officially scheduled event where six or more persons, of whom a substantial majority are of legal age, meet in a room of the designated facility in conjunction with a topic or subject of common interest. Activities which are strictly social in nature (wedding receptions, private parties and dinners, etc.) shall not be defined as falling within the conference/convention definition, but may be arranged under special circumstances with the approval of the Director of the University Union. The Director, University Union, shall determine if the activity is a legitimate conference or convention activity within the spirit and language of the authorizing legislation and University regulations.
- The sale, serving, and consumption of alcoholic beverages are restricted to conference and convention facilities determined by the University Union.
- The University Union shall adhere to all statutes and regulations concerning the sale, serving and consumption of alcoholic beverages established by the State of Illinois, the Illinois Liquor Control Commission, the Board of Trustees, and Eastern Illinois University.
- Alcoholic beverages shall be served or sold, and may be consumed, only by persons who are twenty-one years of age and older.
- An authorized representative of the organization requesting alcoholic beverages in conjunction with a conference or convention activity must complete a request form at least two weeks in advance of the event and sign that form affirming that he/she has read and understands the terms and provisions contained therein.
Upon approval of the request by the Director, University Union, copies of the form shall be provided to the representative of the organization and the Vice President for Student Affairs.
Terms and Conditions For An Approved Activity
- Arrangements for serving alcoholic beverages at a conference or convention must be made with the Director, University Union, at least ten days prior to the activity.
- A minimum charge shall be established to cover minimum operating costs.
- A late cancellation charge shall be imposed if reservations are not cancelled at least forty- eight hours prior to the scheduled activity.
- Alcoholic beverages served at conferences or conventions shall be handled, as part of the contract, by the University Union. All food and non-alcoholic beverages must be provided through the University Union Food Service.
- At any activity where alcoholic beverages are served, provisions must be made for serving non-alcoholic beverages.
- The sponsoring organization shall make no public advertisement of the sale or serving of alcoholic beverages in connection with the activity without the prior approval from the Vice President for Student Affairs or her/his designee.
- With the exception of service during athletic events, possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages shall be confined to the area or room scheduled for the activity and shall not be permitted in public areas. Participants shall not be permitted to carry any containers of alcoholic beverages out of the serving area.
- Only University employees authorized by the Director of the University Union shall be responsible for selling and serving beverages and checking ID's at such activities.
- Supervision of the event shall be the joint responsibility of the University Union staff on duty and the authorized representative(s) of the sponsoring organization.
- The University reserves the right to close the activity early if any person or group of persons appears to be intoxicated or otherwise uncontrollable.
- Only members of the sponsoring organization and their invited guests shall be permitted to attend the activity. The organization must provide a roster of the individuals invited or registered to participate in the activity.
- Each area where alcoholic beverages are served must meet reasonable safety standards and must permit University Union personnel to maintain proper control and security.
- The sponsoring organization shall be held financially responsible for any damage or injury to persons or property as a result of intentional or negligent conduct on the part of the organization, its members, or guests.
- All billing for alcoholic beverage service will be separate from any and all other services rendered by the University Union.
- University accounts may not be billed for alcoholic beverage service unless written authorization to bill an individual account is provided by the President of the University.
- Specific guidelines shall be developed by the University Union and approved by the Vice President for Student Affairs.