#116 - Moving Expense Reimbursement
Approved: February 18, 2019
Nomenclature changes: July 24, 2023
If approved by the President, in consultation with the appropriate Vice President and when funds are available, household moving expenses may be reimbursed as provided below:
- Eligible new employees include full-time, senior level administrative, professional, and tenured & tenure-track faculty recruited from outside the commuting area (50 miles).
- The allowable reimbursement shall not exceed $2,000.
- Reimbursement is limited to reasonable and actual expenses for moving household goods to a location in Coles County, Illinois, or a community located within a 40-mile radius of the main campus and payment will be made only on the basis of receipts of actual expenses incurred. Meals are not reimbursable.
- For employees employed through external funding, this policy applies only when and to the extent that external funding provides for the reimbursement.
- If two or more individuals occupying the same household, who qualify for reimbursement for moving expenses, are employed with beginning dates not more than 30 calendar days apart, they shall be eligible for a single reimbursement for that household with the amount to be divided equally between such individuals.
- In all instances, any approved moving reimbursement must be specifically referenced, in writing, in an individual’s offer letter.
- All reimbursements are subject to IRS regulations.
In exceptional circumstances, the total cost of moving expenses exceeding $2,000 may be approved by the University President as a condition of employment.