EIU Teaching with Primary Sources
A look at some events that took place during the run of the Railway Post Office. Images and links take you to information and resources on EIU TPS, Library of Congress, National Postal Museum Railway Mail Service and other sites.
The Railway Post Office becomes part of the classified civil service system requiring a competitive entrance exam.
At this time...
- American Memory Timeline -Rise of Industrial America (1876-1900)
- America's Library Jump Back in Time - Gilded Age (1878-1889)
- President Benjamin Harrison (photo from By Popular Demand: Portraits of Presidents and First Ladies, American Memory)
Illinois Historical Events:
- Hull House opened in Chicago.
- Frank Lloyd Wright's designs begin construction.
- Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal begins construction.
U.S. Historical Events:
- The Oahu Railway began operating on Hawaii's third largest island.
- Washington becomes the 42nd state in the Union.
- President Harrison authorizes the Oklahoma Land Rush transforming two million acres of tribal land into thousands of individual claims within hours.
U.S. Cultural Events:
- Floods destroy Johnstown, Pennsylvania.
- William Kennedy Laurie Dickson, Thomas Edison's assistant began developing the Kinetoscope.
- Only 835 bison are left in the United States.