EIU Teaching with Primary Sources
A look at some events that took place during the run of the Railway Post Office. Images and links take you to information and resources on EIU TPS, Library of Congress, National Postal Museum Railway Mail Service and other sites.
The Ward mail bag catcher is first used creating "mail on the fly".
At this time...
- American Memory Timeline -National Expansion and Reform (1818-1880)
- America's Library Jump Back in Time - Reconstruction (1866-1877)
- President Ulysses S. Grant (photo from By Popular Demand: Portraits of Presidents and First Ladies, American Memory)
Illinois Historical Events:
- Florenz Ziegfeld Jr. father of the Ziegfeld Follies was born in Chicago.
- I.W. McGafley was awarded the first American patent for his invention of a suction principle vacuum cleaner.
- Henry Marshall Douglass served as the first librarian for the University of Illinois.
U.S. Historical Events:
- The Golden Spike was driven in joining the Union Pacific and Central Pacific railways.
- Wyoming territory approves first law in U.S. history explicitly granting women the right to vote.
- Jay Gould and Jim Fisk tried to corner the gold market resulting in Black Friday.
U.S. Cultural Events:
- Ned Judson helped create Buffalo Bill by making him a hero in a number of his books.
- John Muir and the Sierras.
- Jesse and Frank James rob a bank in Gallatin, Missouri, shooting the cashier. This is the first time Jesse's name appears in the newspapers in connection with a bank robbery.