New Employee Orientation
You are EIU!
The New Employee Orientation program is designed to provide general information regarding university operations, policies and procedures, performance expectations, and development opportunities. We hope to equip our new employee with the information to thrive at EIU by providing them with an understanding of how their role impacts the University's overall success. See the agenda below for specifics. A campus tour and lunch are included.
8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
To sign up for the Training & Development's various workshops, please go to our registration page
We look forward to seeing you at New Employee Orientation. If you have any questions, please contact Julie Benedict, firstname.lastname@example.org, 581-8415.
Helpful sites and Documentation:
- Welcome Guide (pdf) -is full of great information to get you started at EIU. Included in the guide is a listing of departments to contact regarding a multitude of topics.
- Required Training for New Employees - explains the four mandatory trainings that all new employees must take as soon as they are hired.
- President Perry's Letter to the Community - President Perry's conclusions with regard to EIU's values, strategic objectives, potential, priorities, and resources were drawn from the content of the meetings with various groups of faculty, staff, students, and university friends.
- EIU Mission Statement
- Benefits for employees
- Booth Library - offers a wonderful selection of housed and on-line materials. The Ballenger Teacher's Center offers reading times for children.
- Checklists for an organized and smooth transition into the job for:
- Dining Service - is not just for students. EIU employees may eat at the Food Court and any residence hall dining. You can put money on your Panther Card to help make paying for the meals and snacks easier and more economical.
- Educational Opportunities for the non-traditional student - Classes are offered on weekends, nights, and on-line to meet the needs of the non-traditional student.
- EIUAA - Eastern Illinois University Annuitant Association
- Facilities Planning and Management - Facilities Planning and Management is complex but vital part to the operations of Eastern. The FPM Guide Book at the bottom of the webpage is excellent in outlining the services that they have to offer.
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) brochure.
- HR & You Newsletters - An informational newsletter for timely and pertinent information that affects you as an employee.
- LGBTQA - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, and Ally WebCenter - to support an open, welcoming, and collaborative campus environment for students, faculty, and staff.
- Panther Card - may be used for many purposes such as Library card, purchase meals in the Food Court/Residence Hall Dining, vending machines, Debit card with First Mid-Illinois, and so much more.
- Shared Governance -
- Start Right Stay Right - is helpful hints to get you started on the right path with co-workers, supervisor, and your success.
- SUAA - State and Universities Annuitant Association
- Student Community Service - volunteering opportunities for students and staff.
- Training Opportunities -
- Office of Training & Development - provides programs and other assistance to ensure employees are afforded the opportunity to maximize their effectiveness as members of the university community and to magnify their contribution to the success of the university.
- Center for Academic Technology & Support - CATS - provides workshops/training to support and promote all academic departments in the use of information and communication technologies for teaching and learning at Eastern Illinois University.
- Faculty Development - provides workshops to develop and enable excellent faculty to provide high quality service and leadership across the University's integrated missions of teaching, research, scholarship and creative activities
- Where to Go for Answers- provides a list of functions, processes, and procedures and which department is responsible.
Rules and Regulations
Board of Trustees Regulations
The Board of Trustees Regulations (BOT REGS) are bylaws, governing policies and regulations set forth by the Board of Trustees for Eastern Illinois University. The Board of Trustees is appointed by the governor and is authorized and responsible to operate, manage, control and maintain Eastern Illinois University.
Internal Governing Policies
The Internal Governing Policies (IGP) are the policies and procedures of Eastern Illinois University approved by the President. Each policy statement identifies a monitor who is responsible for maintaining, updating and interpreting that particular policy. Questions of interpretation of and exceptions to a policy should be directed to the appropriate monitor.