The majority of our BGS graduates continue their education toward completion of a graduate degree. If you think you might be interested in applying to the Graduate School after achieving your bachelor’s degree, then you’ll want to take steps now toward that goal. Here is a list of recommendations.
- Solid grades are a prerequisite to any graduate program, so maintain a high GPA. Professional work experience, employer recommendations, and favorable faculty evaluations are also important.
- Contact the Graduate Coordinator for the graduate program you plan to pursue to ask if there are any undergraduate classes that you should take now as you work toward your bachelor’s degree, and that would be required for your graduate degree.
- Take several classes in an area of study that will increase your knowledge of your chosen graduate program.
- Advanced written and oral communication skills are necessary for success in a graduate program so don’t shy from opportunities to strengthen those skills, such as research papers and oral presentations. Some graduate applications will require a written essay from the applicant.
- Listen to the presentation by our University’s Graduate School Dean (Dr. Augustine). Preparation to Pursue a Graduate Degree
- Visit the EIU Graduate School website http://www.eiu.edu/graduate/ for information on the application process, required test scores, etc.