The M.A. in Political Science provides you with graduate level knowledge of governments and political systems, preparing you for a wide variety of career opportunities or career advancement. This M.A. is a traditional face-to-face program, but students can choose to take some electives online, offering flexibility.
Why consider an M.A. in Political Science at EIU?
- We have small class sizes with close faculty interaction. We will work with you to achieve your professional goals. Full time faculty teach all our classes--we are here for you.
- Our program is diverse--you will be in classes with students from all over the world, representing different cultures, religions, and ethnicities. There's so much to learn just from your own classmates!
- We offer internships and independent studies to develop students' skills and experience.
- All students complete a research methods course, and a research project through a capstone project or a thesis, demonstrating the key skills you've developed in your degree program.
- Full time students can finish their M.A. in 2 semesters and 1 summer (even faster for qualified undergraduates enrolled in the accelerated graduate program). Or you can attend part-time, taking up to 6 years, if that pace fits your needs better.
- Our program is an excellent stepping stone to a Ph.D. or J.D. program, with strong placements throughout the country, but especially in the Midwest.
- Students from a wide variety of undergraduate majors excel in our M.A. program. While having some Political Science coursework is advantageous, the key is developing strong critical thinking and communication skills.
- Each year, we typically offer 6 graduate assistantships to academically talented students, providing them with a full tuition waiver and a 9-month stipend.
- Our program is high quality, flexible, and affordable.
This world has lots of problems requiring solutions--we hope you join us!
Degree: Master of Arts
Completion time: 33 Credit Hours (beginning in Fall of 2021)
- Program Information in EIU