Dr. Melinda A. MuellerDepartment Chair and Professor, Political Science Office: 2341 - Coleman Hall
Dr. Mueller (B.A. Susquehanna University, M.A., Ph.D. University of Rochester) joined the department in 1995 and has served as the department chair since 2018. She received the 2008 Faculty Laureate for undergraduate general education teaching, the 2009 Teaching Excellence Award in the College of Sciences, and multiple Achievement and Contribution Awards.
Professor Mueller teaches courses in American Politics and Public Policy. She regularly directs undergraduate and graduate independent research in the area of gender politics and public policy. Her publications include a book chapter on "soccer moms" and voting, in Engaging the Public: How the Government and Media Can Reinvigorate American Democracy, a chapter on gender, campaigning, and Twitter in Social Media and Politics, a literature review on women and U.S. politics in Choice, and a chapter on Teddy Roosevelt's rhetoric and conservationism in From the Bully Pulpit: Presidential Rhetoric, Speeches, and the Shaping of Public Policy. She has also published in PS: Political Science & Politics, The Thomas Jefferson Law Review, The U.S. Government and the Environment, and Managing Environmental Policies: A Casebook.
Fall 2023 Office Hours
- Monday/Wednesday 2-3 pm, Tuesday/Thursday 10:45-11:45 am , and by appointment
- Academic advisees may sign up for an advising appointment in late September or February on the sign-up on my office door.
- If I'm in my office and not busy, feel free to drop in to chat.
Fall 2023 Schedule
- PLS 3723/Political Behavior, TR 9:30-10:45 am
- PLS 1500/Political Science Forum, W 1-1:50 pm
- Administrative and chair meetings Wednesday and Friday mornings
Frequently Taught Courses
- PLS 1500 -- Political Science Forum
- PLS 3903 -- Women & Politics
- PLS 3723 -- Political Behavior
- PLS 4763 -- Environmental Politics & Policy