Creating an Assignment at Turnitin.com
The following are instructions for faculty on how to create a Turnitin assignment at the Turnitin website (www.turnitin.com). For instructions on how to create a Turnitin assignment in D2L, go to Turnitin Assignment in D2L.
- Log in to Turnitin at www.turnitin.com
- If you have used Turnitin in D2L or at Turnitin.com, you already have a Turnitin.com account.
- Log in with your EIU email address and your Turnitin password. (This password is independent from your EIU password.)
- If you do not know or remember your turnitin password, select "Forgot Your Password" on the Turnitin.com log in screen and reset your password.
- If you have not used Turnitin in D2L or at Turnitin.com, you will need to request a Turnitin.com account.
- To request a Turnitin.com account, use your EIU PantherMail account to email the EIU Turnitin Administrator at email@example.com and request a Turnitin account.
- An email confirmation will be sent to notify you when your Turnitin account has been created. Please allow up to five business days for account creation.
- After you log in to Turnitin.com, create a class. Details about this process are provided at: Using Turnitin: Faculty - Adding a Class.
- Create one or more assignments for the class that has been created. Details about this process are provided at Using Turnitin: Faculty - Adding an Assignment.
- Instructors may submit papers for students or students can submit their papers themselves. Details about this process are provided at Using Turnitin: Faculty - Submitting a Paper.
- Once papers are submitted, instructors will be provided an Originality Report to view and interpret. Details about this process are provided at Using Turnitin: Faculty - Originality Reports.
Faculty using the Turnitin tool need to identify this process in their syllabus. Here is EIU's official syllabus statement:
“Eastern Illinois University is committed to the learning process and academic integrity that is defined in the Student Conduct Code (1.1). To encourage original and authentic written work, any written assignment created in this course may be submitted for review to Turnitin.com and will become a searchable document with the Turnitin-protected and restricted use database."
Faculty need to be familiar with the Standards of Student Conduct Codes and the proper EIU procedures for reporting academic dishonesty. The Office of Student Standards provides resources for both faculty and students. If a faculty member feels a student has broken the Standards of Student Conduct, the Notation of Academic Misconduct form must be downloaded and completed by the faculty member.
What's New in Turnitin
Instructor Quick Start Guide
Instructor Feedback Studio
Anti-Plagiarism Strategies - Faculty Focus
EIU Writing Center