A student may request a late withdrawal through the Office of the Registrar when a documented illness or other extraordinary circumstance prevents withdrawal from a course by the established deadlines.
Failing a course is not an appropriate reason to seek a late withdrawal. Students who are failing a course should follow the "Repeating Courses" policy stated in the catalog.
Students seeking a total medical withdrawal should contact Health Service or the Counseling Center.
The deadline for submitting a late withdrawal is March 15th for the immediately preceding fall semester and October 15th for the immediately preceding spring or summer semester.
Procedures for Submitting a Late Withdrawal Request
- Complete the “Policy Agreement for Late Withdrawals” and “Late Withdrawal Request” forms. Clearly state the reason that prevented you from dropping by the drop deadline.
- This form may be completed online but it must be printed out and signed in ink.
- The submission of the Late Withdrawal request form does not guarantee that the withdrawal will be approved.
- Obtain recommendation and signature from the instructor of the course and the department chair.
- Return the completed forms and supporting documentation (if applicable) to the Office of the Registrar, 1220 Old Main. You may fax to (217) 581-3412, scan or take a legible photo with phone/tablet and email to email@example.com.
- Upon receipt of the completed forms, the Registrar will determine whether granting of the late withdrawal is consistent with applicable policy. The determination will be sent to the student’s EIU e-mail account.
- If the student wishes to appeal the Registrar’s decision, upon request, the Office of the Registrar will forward the Registrar's determination of Late Withdrawal requests to the Appeal Committee, whose decision is final and not subject to further appeal. Appeals must be requested no later than one year from the close of the term in which the course was taken.
You will be assessed a non-refundable Late Withdrawal Fee of $25 per credit hour requested with a maximum of $100 per occurrence. The Maximum is $100, even if you withdraw from multiple courses at once. The fee will be assessed upon the request of late withdrawal and is applied whether the withdrawal is approved or denied.
- A student withdraws from a three-semester hour course. 3 X $25 = $75.00 charge for late withdrawal.
- Student enrolled in 12 semester hours and withdraws from all courses at the same time. $100 maximum charged per occurrence.
- This fee will be assessed upon the request of late withdrawal no matter the final outcome (approved/denied).