Midwest Collaborative Piano Competition
February 24, 2018
Eastern Illinois University
-Where the accompanist is the star-
The Eastern Illinois University Department of Music is excited to announce the fourth annual competition for young collaborative pianists (grades 8-12). Come improve your skills and compete for significant prizes at this unique event dedicated to the developing accompanist!
First prize: $700
Second prize: $500
Third prize: $300
For honorable mention, participants will receive a $100 scholarship to the 2018 Eastern Music Camp.
How to Participate
- Find a partner! It could be a singer or instrumentalist (including another pianist). You have to be in 8-12 grade, but your partner may be of any age.
- Choose your music! Each duo should prepare 8-10 minutes of music from the standard classical repertoire. All levels are welcome. Email Dr. Bowman if you have questions or want ideas.
- Fill out the online application. Be sure we reserve your performance slot by applying before the February 1, 2018 deadline! (Online application will be activated on October 1, 2017).
- Early applicants score! You will be accepted on a first-come first-served basis. If your application is received after all time slots have been filled, your application fee will be refunded.
All applicants will be notified by February 2nd as to the status of their application.
How the Competition Works
On the day of the competition, you and your partner will perform for the judges in a masterclass setting, where you get feedback and suggestions for improvement. After some coaching from the judges, you will have a chance to give a brief second performance.
You will be evaluated on:
- The technical polish of your own part
- Maturity of interpretation (including style and expression)
- Awareness of and sensitivity to your partner's part (including balance, expressively synchronized phrasing, musical dialogue, and a shared conception of the work)
- Improvement shown in the second performance
We announce the awards soon after the final performance, and feed you a tasty lunch (provided for each participant, their partner, and one parent/support person).
The 2018 competition judges will be EIU piano professors Jonathan Bowman and Paul Johnston.
We look forward to seeing and hearing you there!
Direct questions or concerns to Dr. Bowman.