The Master of Science in Kinesiology and Sport Studies degree program provides students with an opportunity to become global leaders and scholars in the concentration of their choosing. Our program offers a rigorous, affordable three-semester program in which students may complete their degree in one calendar year. Our students choose between one of two concentration areas: Exercise Science and Sports Administration.
In addition to the core courses in their chosen concentration, students take courses that prepare them to become involved in the academic discourse in their area of study. All of our students complete capstone courses and/or projects that require them to critically analyze and solve problems facing current industry practitioners. Furthermore, all of our students have the opportunity to participate in our study abroad programs. Our department maintains strong relationships with other universities and sport and fitness organizations in Europe and Canada. Each May, our students have the opportunity to become global scholars by traveling to the University of Winchester in Winchester, England.
Finally, there are a variety of graduate assistantships available to our students both in our department and beyond that provide our students with a tuition waiver and monthly stipend. Often, our students work as graduate assistants in the KSS Department Adult Fitness Program, EIU Student Recreation Center, EIU Athletics and with local cardiac rehabilitation programs. Prospective students are encouraged to contact departments of interest for graduate assistantship opportunities.
Prospective students who are interested in the KSS graduate program need to submit the following materials to the KSS graduate coordinator:
1. Application to the graduate school (Sent to the KSS department once the graduate school receives it from the student)
2. Resume (This can be emailed directly to email@example.com)
3. Statement of Purpose (Why do you want to obtain a Master's Degree from KSS? What are your goals after completion?) Email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Transcripts (Official copies)
5. Three letters of recommendation (These can be emailed directly to email@example.com)
6. Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
7. If you want to be considered for a graduate assistantship, please click here
8. Prospective students seeking a GA position are encouraged to contact departments of interest for GA opportunities
9. Acceptance into the EIU Graduate School does not imply acceptance into the KSS Graduate Program until the above requirements have been met
If you have any further questions, please feel free to email Scott Ronspies (firstname.lastname@example.org)